October 17, 2017, 10:15:54 AM

Author Topic: tight end  (Read 11641 times)

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
tight end
« on: October 18, 2016, 07:16:36 PM »
The Packers could use a # 1 WR, running back and now a corner  has to be under consideration for a top pick. But the weakest position on the team is TE in my humble opinion.  Rodgers has good size and hands but that is about it.  Cook is a tease and Perillo is just a guy.

Much of the discussion has been on Howard and Butt but this is a guy I find intriguing.  He isn't as ready as the first two but in a few years he could be special. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2071631/bucky-hodges

While Eagram has been considered an undersized tight end maybe he should be considered a big WR-

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
Re: tight end
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 08:00:53 PM »
No doubt there will be choices at TE. I think you have to throw Leggett into the conversation as well.

Won't be a 1st round move for GB, but could be a 2nd round move.

Online SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 09:53:08 PM »
Though Hunter Henry is looking like one of the next great all around TEs in the league, I'm almost happy we didn't spend a pick on the TE position.  I'm really eager for this next class as it looks to be as deep as the 2013 class which was loaded with talent.
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 04:38:30 AM »
While I agree the Packers need a TE with speed, I think they need a CB (assuming Shields retires) and a true no.2 outside receiver more. THAT probably means they need to get down to 4 WRs (with the drafted guy as a fifth). Certainly they need to get rid of 2-3 WRs currently on the roster to accommodate a high draft pick. It will be brutal competition at that position next training camp.

Since I wouldn't pick a TE with the no.1 pick (because of the more pressing needs), that means no Bucky Hodges or O.J Howard, and probably no Jake Butt either. Leggett (Clemson) is a possibility if he shows the work ethic needed for the NFL - he has the tools Green Bay needs badly. Maybe a more likely prospect is Jeremy Sprinkle (Arkansas), currently looking like he would be there for the Packers in the 3rd and just possibly the 4th. Pharaoh Brown (Oregon) has speed and may be a 4th round prospect if his leg is fully healthy, after his horrible injury (stretched artery leaked blood into his leg after his tendons were damaged there). I'm not sure if Blake Jarwin (Oklahoma State) or Cole Hikutini (Louisville) have the speed the Packers need.

For me then, its probably rounds 3-4 that the Packers grab their TE. Of course Cook is not old and may yet prove good enough to drive down the need for a TE  with (say) their 3rd pick, to someone who is a bit more of a developmental prospect (with the necessary speed) in rounds 5-7.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 05:00:13 AM by OneTwoSixFive »
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 07:52:27 PM »
If we are mostly interested in a "receiving TE" they should give Devon Cajuste (on the practice squad) some more time to develop as well.

If he adds another 5-8 lbs to get into the mid-240's# without losing any speed, he could fit the need.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/devon-cajuste?id=2555276

PRO DAY RESULTS
40-yard dash: 4.55 seconds
Bench: 14 reps of 225 pounds

STRENGTHS Tall with a muscular frame. Play strength is above average and will fight for positioning. Reliable pass catcher with powerful hands. Able to post up and win the contested catch. Has traits to transition to H-back. Clean footwork and movements in his routes with a decent double move. Has some deceptive quickness out of stemming routes. Will work middle of the field without fear. Handles his responsibilities as a blocker. Good red zone target due to size and toughness.

BOTTOM LINE If this evaluation were purely as a receiving prospect, the draft grade would be lower; however, Cajuste might carry a higher grade as an H­-back or tight end which are the two positions where he should project. Cajuste is a willing blocker who also carries some third down and goal line value as a pass catcher which is why we are projecting him as an H-­back or move tight end.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 07:54:20 PM »
I'm becoming intrigued by TE Cole Hikutini of Louisville.

Word is he needs to work on his blocking (as do most college TE's), but that he is more than a handful as a receiver.

He's still a junior, but word is that he may declare for the draft, and if he does you could probably land him in the late 3rd or 4th round.

6-5/248 and 4.7-4.8 forty time isn't too bad.

Through week 7 he has 27 receptions for 393 yards (14.56/catch) and 4 TD's.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2016/player/367/1050564/index.html

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 08:59:21 PM »
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000727181/article/stock-report-kendell-beckwith-rising-bryan-cox-in-decline

There's a little more information about Cole here.

The biggest need on offense are playmakers be they RB's, WR;'s or TE.   I don't care which position they draft early but the TE class seems to be better than the WR class.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 07:01:31 PM »
Thanks for the added info!

thumbsup)

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 03:56:06 PM »
The 2nd coming of Jermichael Finley??

http://walterfootball.com/draft2017TE.php

Tyrone Swoopes, TE, Texas
Height: 6-4. Weight: 249.
Projected 40 Time: 4.69.
Projected Round (2017): 4-6.
10/8/16: Swoopes plays quarterback for Texas, but sources with multiple NFL teams are considering him as a future tight end for the NFL. They say that Swoopes has a good skill set for the position. They think he has hands for the position, but they definitely like his size and athletic ability to play tight end. Some teams think Swoopes could go in the early rounds of Day 3 at his new position.

Offline SSGCujo

• All Pro
  • Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way! G.Patton
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 04:50:14 PM »
TE in the last few drafts have not been very good, 2014 and 2015 were bad years. TT will have to look at the free agent market and drafting two TEs'. Until Cook can prove himself, Perillo and Rodgers are awful. TT let Ryan Taylor go, he didn't have any speed, but he could at least block. It's BRUTAL watching Rodgers and Perillo block, and with an added plus, they can't run, either. How about Evan Engram from Ole Miss? Troy Fumigalli is a JR, but will probably stay in school.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 07:38:53 PM »
I like the idea of drafting 2 TE's. One receiving type and one that's a solid blocker.

Josiah Price (Mich St) and Jeb Blazevich (Georgia) are both very good blockers and should be around in rounds 4-6.

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 04:49:11 PM »
Look out for George Kittle from Iowa in rounds 4-6.  Solid blocker with some good receiving ability. 
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Online SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 05:04:18 PM »
Look out for George Kittle from Iowa in rounds 4-6.  Solid blocker with some good receiving ability.

Come on Cheech.  Is there ever a TE from Iowa that you don't want us to look out for? ;D
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 09:03:21 PM »
This is from NFL. com

7. Arkansas' Jeremy Sprinkle, one of the top tight ends in the country, looked the part against Florida on Saturday. The 6-foot-6, 256-pounder presents difficulties for linebackers and safeties with that large frame in the middle. Sprinkle has catcher's mitts for hands and can make difficult catches while on the run. He's not an elite athlete, looking stiff and not overly quick when lining up as a fullback on one second-half play. The senior showed scouts a willingness to block on the edge, though, which is a good sign for his NFL future. Some technique work on moving his feet after contact should be enough to make him serviceable as a blocker at the next level. Sprinkle reminds me of former first-round pick Bubba Franks. Franks was overdrafted by Green Bay, but he still had some very good years in the NFL. -- Chad Reuter

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 05:23:05 PM »

Come on Cheech.  Is there ever a TE from Iowa that you don't want us to look out for? ;D

Hey - you can't argue that HKC wouldn't have been an improvement over Perillo.  :) 

Anyway - I think he'd be a steal on day 3 and an immediate improvement over Rodgers in all aspects of the game. 
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.