March 25, 2017, 12:50:38 AM

Author Topic: Players to watch.  (Read 1620 times)

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
Players to watch.
« on: February 15, 2017, 03:58:07 PM »
Julie'n Davenport, OT, Bucknell: He played okay this past season and had an alright Senior Bowl but he has a ton of upside. Not as athletic as Jason Spriggs, but he's no slouch either. Likely middle round player worth targeting.

De'Veon Smith, RB, Michigan:  Solid runner with an overall game. Doesn't really lack in any areas and runs behind his pads well to gain the extra yard or two.  A middle round player who will be a capable young player ready to contribute as a rookie.

Carroll Phillips, 3-4 OLB, Illinois : Athletic pass rusher with some off the field issues. Should drop considerably, but nothing to be overly concerned with imo. I can see him being available in the 3rd round.

Anthony Walker, LB, Northwestern  Athletic cover Linebacker.  Likely 4th rounder.

Ahkello Witherspoon, CB, Colorado : Long, athletic CB with good speed. 2nd or early 3rd round pick.

Jaleel Johnson, 3-4 DE, Iowa : Can't go wrong with Iowa guys. 5 technique who plays with a lot of effort. Good strength, good hands, good quickness. 2nd rounder.

Jarron Jones, 3-4 DE, Notre Dame : Same as above, but uses his length a little better to gain leverage than Johnson does. 2nd rounder.

Malachi Dupre, WR, LSU : Good size, speed, and route running ability. Likely a 2nd rounder

Montae Nicholson, S, Michigan State : Prototype Safety. Good in run support and has very good range. 3rd round.

Tyrone Swoopes, TE, Texas : Quarterback turned Tight End... could work. I like his potential and he's definitely an athletic, physical football player. Worth a shot in the late rounds and developing.
I am rational conversationalist as well both, a cunning linguist and gifted cunnilinguist... - Anonymous

"Only I can make my Lady smile the way I do." - Me

Offline backthepack4ever

• All Pro
Re: Players to watch.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 06:08:18 PM »
Walker is a stud and will go way before the 4th.  He is more then a cover ILBer.  the kid is Always around the ball.   

add:

Elijah McGuire RB  UL Lay   complete back.  Prob the best SR rb.  had a good SR bowl week.  scored in the game. 

Zair Jones.  DL UNC.   perfect size for a 5 tech.  was unblockable at times.  needs work and consistency but he has talent. 

Tyus Bowser  OLB Houston.   Not many are talking about him but he is a true OLB.  Can rush and drop.  I loved Ngakoue last year.  This guy reminds me of him getting up field.  could be a steal
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 06:13:16 PM by backthepack4ever »

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 08:20:38 PM »
There's a string of CB's that are ranked day 2 picks and it will be interesting to see if anyone can separate themselves from the others at the Combine.

Right now, it wouldn't surprise me to see Ted target one of the following with either the 2nd round pick, or maybe trade up in the 3rd round to get one of them (if a run on CB's develops).

Watch for the following:
Rasul Douglas; CB; West Virginia; 6-2/204 (2016: 70 tackles, 8 passes defensed, 8 INT's led the nation)
Fabian Moreau; CB; UCLA; 6-0/202 (2016: 31 tackles, 10 passes defensed, 2 INT's)
Ahkello Witherspoon; CB; Colorado; 6-3/195 (23 tackles, 22 passes defensed, 1 INT) [Mentioned by claymaker in the OP] Good find clay!!
Howard Wilson; CB; Houston; 6-1/186 (54 tackles, 10 passes defensed, 5 INT's)
Kevin King; CB; Washington; 6-3/192 (44 tackles, 13 passes defensed, 2 INT's)

Offline OnaBadger58

• Second String
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 09:44:58 AM »
Kareem Hunt, RB Kent State.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 07:20:55 PM »
Kareem Hunt, RB Kent State.

Yup! Like him a lot.

Have him in my first mock back on January 20th.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 07:22:05 PM by dannobanano »

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 04:58:01 PM »
Want to see a guy with a killer spin move, check out Charles Harris here.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000674402/article/first-look-scouting-missouri-de-charles-harris 

This is Daniel Jeremiah's take on Harris. He includes a clip of his spin move against Florida, as good as I've seen. It's an old clip (from July 2016) but worth looking at.
Ricky. "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

Offline SSGCujo

• All Pro
  • Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way! G.Patton
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 05:53:38 PM »
 The combine is next week. Some players will drop, others will rise. The Packers need speed!

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 06:16:15 PM »
The combine is next week. Some players will drop, others will rise. The Packers need speed!

You're channeling your inner Al Davis !   :D

All too often players rise and fall too much in the wake of 'the underwear olympics', where it seems athletic ability is over-valued against football ability. I wonder which player will be the 'media darling' this year. Manziel and Tebow were two of them in the not-so-distant past (wasn't Taylor Mays a slightly dimmer media star, too). Maybe they will do it differently this year, and pick someone who actually has NFL talent.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 06:19:23 PM by OneTwoSixFive »
Ricky. "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 07:23:33 PM »

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000674402/article/first-look-scouting-missouri-de-charles-harris 

This is Daniel Jeremiah's take on Harris. He includes a clip of his spin move against Florida, as good as I've seen. It's an old clip (from July 2016) but worth looking at.

His spin is reminiscent of Dwight Freeney.

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 08:47:03 PM »

It looked to me  like it was in slow motion against a tackle with his feet in cement. Not saying the kid won't be a good player but to compare that spin move to Freeney is not reality IMO.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 09:02:52 PM »

It looked to me  like it was in slow motion against a tackle with his feet in cement. Not saying the kid won't be a good player but to compare that spin move to Freeney is not reality IMO.

Maybe................but he's still pretty nifty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETEY4e6t76U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd8baDTKwkQ

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 09:06:48 PM »

Maybe................but he's still pretty nifty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETEY4e6t76U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd8baDTKwkQ

Not saying he won't be a good player, but Freeney's move is his alone. This kid has a mighty long ways to go to be talked about in the same breath. Freeney might be one of the 2 or 3 fastest guys off the ball ever.

Offline SSGCujo

• All Pro
  • Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way! G.Patton
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 10:05:17 PM »
 The combine is an important tool in judging talent. Game tape and watching players live is the most important. The tests that are ran help or hurt players. With WRs and CBs, 40 times are important. Yes, sometimes players are workout warriors and get way over drafted, Mike Mamula.

Offline mancl

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 10:42:20 AM »
This guy has gotten a lot of attention lately.  One scout said he could even make it into the lst round which seems pretty high for me.
He played in the same conference as Janis so you know he is raw.   Would be worth considering if he is available in the 3rd based on this info from Walters .

Adam Shaheen, TE, Ashland

Height: 6-6. Weight: 277.
Projected 40 Time: 4.58.
Projected Round (2017): 2-4.
2/25/17: Sources say that Shaheen is a freak athlete whose draft stock could explode in the months to come. Shaheen is expected to be a workout warrior, but team sources say that his tape showed serious receiving ability for the next level. Even though he is tall and thick, Shaheen has freaky speed and athleticism for such a big tight end. Teams think that Shaheen could be a versatile tight end to create mismatches in the passing game.

Shaheen caught 57 passes for 867 yards with 16 touchdowns in 2016. The previous season, he had 70 receptions for 803 yards and 10 touchdowns. Some team sources even compared Shaheen to Patriots star tight end Rob Gronkowski.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2017TE.php#l8LjRLUJmiDVL5wk.99

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 12:16:17 PM »
Devonte Field from Louisville for me. Guy has some serious character issues he will need to answer for at the combine. He can get after the QB though. Not sure he will be on TT's draft board though.

Him in the 4th and one of these in round 1 for me: Tim Williams, TJ Watt or Harris from Mizzou! I want the QB in fear when they drop back to pass against us. Our DB's will be much better as a result of it.