June 28, 2017, 05:32:28 PM

Author Topic: Combine thoughts?  (Read 2175 times)

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
Combine thoughts?
« on: March 04, 2017, 10:27:23 AM »
Just following on twitter....

Cooper Kupp posted 4.62 and 4.66 40 times.   He sure seems to play faster than that, but now you have to wonder if he just looked fast compared to d2 defensive backs.

Any other surprising results that have you questioning players?
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline claymaker

• HOF Member
Re: Combine thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 11:27:39 AM »
I found that pretty surprising. Considering even Mike Mayock, one of the talking heads I actually like, ranked him as his 4th best WR in the draft. I think the lack of WR talent in the draft had something to do with that eval.

Chris Godwin ran faster than I thought he would. Had him on my watch list.

I'm interested to see how Evan Engram runs.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 11:50:18 AM »
John Ross is fast, really fast.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 11:55:00 AM »
John Ross is fast, really fast.

4.22 with a bum shoulder and a cramp?  Yeah - he's fast. 

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 01:56:08 PM »
Just following on twitter....

Cooper Kupp posted 4.62 and 4.66 40 times.   He sure seems to play faster than that, but now you have to wonder if he just looked fast compared to d2 defensive backs.

Any other surprising results that have you questioning players?

I'm not thinking Cooper Kupp will be a disappointment when he goes to the NFL. He gets open with great craft and subtle moves - that translates very well to the NFL. You can get open with great route running, with speed, with good size boxing defenders out, and with craft. you don't need all those traits, just enough to win...... and he has that.

Ross runs a 4.22 40, are you kidding me ? As Mayock might say "NOT more quick than fast, just fast fast fast". He is way more than just a speedster, as well. If he fell to the Pack, Ted should be very tempted - there would be no more hearing about the Packers needing speed on offense.
(Ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 02:17:42 PM »
My man George Kittle...

Would have broken a record for broad jump (11'1") had 2 guys this year not out-jumped him.  35" vertical.  4.53  40 time. 

In-line blocker.  Probably the best blocker this year not named Howard. 

If Howard doesn't fall to 29, Kittle is going to be a steal on day 3 if he makes it there.  Clearly he's no longer a 7th round option. 

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 05:57:23 PM »
My man George Kittle...

Would have broken a record for broad jump (11'1") had 2 guys this year not out-jumped him.  35" vertical.  4.53  40 time. 

In-line blocker.  Probably the best blocker this year not named Howard. 

If Howard doesn't fall to 29, Kittle is going to be a steal on day 3 if he makes it there.  Clearly he's no longer a 7th round option.

Watched him as well. He had a very good day! Good for him! Early Day 3, IMO.
Improved his draft stock very nicely IMO.

I was blown away by Engram's 4.43-4.42 though. That's fast for TE..............Heck! That's fast for WR!!

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 08:55:44 PM »
I've actually been watching the combine on the NFLC. and find it interesting. The main reason is that the announcers tell you what to look fo, the reason behind the various exercises the players are put through. Whether they can flip their hits, stay squared up in blocking, how their form looks. There is a lot to consider. And though the game tape is the real deal, and the interviews are probably the most important segment of the Combine. Because they get to know the players, and the players have to react to questions about their time in Pee Wee football, or what their relationship is like with their parents. Try to surprise them, get them off guard, and see what they're really like.

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 12:41:27 AM »
yes, Engram and Kittle look good as opposite type tight ends.

The tight end class is really something if you ask me.  You will get a good prospect in the fourth round.

Kind of made to order for us.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 08:06:33 AM »
I think this draft is almost perfect for the Packers. Why? If you look at the Packer's needs; OLB, CB, TE, and maybe RB, this draft is deep with those positions. TT could be drafting starters in the 4-5th rounds where in past years he's looking at depth. TT does his homework so I see this draft as maybe one of those that people come back to as very special.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Online The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 01:02:12 PM »
Ive watched John Ross for 3 years at UW.  He a lot like DeSean Jackson without the attitude.  A definite impact player at the next level.  Not sure Id send him over the middle often, but hes going to run right by a lot of NFL corners.  Hed be a great complement  to a good WR on the other side like a AJ Green or the like.  You have to account for Ross on every play.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 01:06:23 PM by The GM »

Offline Redt

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 01:56:25 PM »
The one thing IMO the combine is good for is assessing speed. The most pressing need for the Packers overall is improved speed on defense. That being said and all other things being equal, I am really impressed with what Hassan Reddick has done post collegiate season. Exceptional Senior Bowl, blazed a 4.52 40, and shows rush and cover ability as a former db. Would be a major upgrade at ILB.
I know that the most pressing need is at OLB and CB, however outside of Garret remain very uncertain about the rest. Would love TT to make a run at veteran fa cb Dre Kirkpatrick perhaps, draft best available OLB with speed in rd 2 T. McKinley hopefully, and best available cb/olb in round 3.

Offline SSGCujo

• All Pro
  • Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way! G.Patton
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 02:03:14 PM »
 TJ Watt would fit the Packers defense perfectly, will TT draft a Badger in round#1?

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 02:27:21 PM »

i was thinking some more about Ross. I got quite excited (for me, anyway), over a super fast time, but Ross is a little like a F1 car, where the fit of the pistons is so tight the engine needs warming with hot water to loosen it up enough to start. In other words, Ross is almost certainly too fragile for the NFL. It's a bit like an Alfa Romeo car,  it almost always in the garage being fixed, but it's great when it actually works.
(Ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 07:18:17 PM »
The one thing IMO the combine is good for is assessing speed. The most pressing need for the Packers overall is improved speed on defense. That being said and all other things being equal, I am really impressed with what Hassan Reddick has done post collegiate season. Exceptional Senior Bowl, blazed a 4.52 40, and shows rush and cover ability as a former db. Would be a major upgrade at ILB.
I know that the most pressing need is at OLB and CB, however outside of Garret remain very uncertain about the rest. Would love TT to make a run at veteran fa cb Dre Kirkpatrick perhaps, draft best available OLB with speed in rd 2 T. McKinley hopefully, and best available cb/olb in round 3.

I put him in my post-combine mock yesterday. He's the real deal!

It will be interesting how it shakes out.