December 15, 2017, 08:10:14 AM

Author Topic: Free Agency This Offseason?  (Read 5632 times)

AldenRoche

Free Agency This Offseason?
« on: January 13, 2013, 10:30:48 PM »
I know, I know, TT does not do free agency.

But he dabbled last offseason with Hargrove and Saturday and given the brutal defensive display again yesterday, can we expect to just draft our way to defensive success in 2013? I mean, does TT really want to spend his first 6 picks on D again this year? This D needs an infusion of top-line talent on the DLine and at LB.

And in case anyone needs convincing that free agency can help a team, look no further than the 49ers. Just on D alone, they've signed Justin Smith, Carlos Rogers, and Donte Whitner as free agents.

Does anyone else think this might, finally be the year TT dips back into free agency (especially since his free agency home run signee Charles Woodson is likely gone).

Offline mitch connor

• Starter
Re: Free Agency This Offseason?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 10:48:19 PM »
I think it's very possible we make anoteworthy free agent signing, though I don't expect TT to change gears and go crazy spending in FA.

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 08:50:19 AM »
Fans overreact to a loss.  Just like I am right now.
TT does not.
He will look at free agency as he always does and weigh the pros and cons.  He may very well sign a guy or two, but it won't be guys who cost a lot of money.  He is saving that money for our home grown talent.

Offline mavajo

• HOF Member
  • sinatra - Posting at www.gbpackeraddicts.com now.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 08:51:22 AM »
Who's available this year?  We really could use help on the defensive line.

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 09:11:25 AM »
Lots to choose from, at least at this point - try  http://nfltraderumors.co/2013-nfl-free-agents/

Offline Beast Light

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 10:12:32 AM »
Jennings, Finley, Woodson, Starks, Hawk, Starks, Pickett ...all may be gone because because there is not enough money to go around.  Especially with Matthews, Rodgers and Raji needing extensions soon.

It's going to be very difficult to spend significant money in FA.  TT may find someone in the clearence aisle and give them a 1-year deal but that is the most that I really see happening.

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 10:21:29 AM »
Boy, you must really want to get rid of Starks.   :)

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 10:34:26 AM »
Well Half Empty, when one of your biggest issues as a team is injuries, the only way to make that better is to draft guys that aren't injury prone.  The one thing we know about Starks is that he is an injury waiting to happen and cannot be counted on.

Offline Beast Light

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 10:37:49 AM »

I guess I don't really understand this comment.  I'm assuming it was directed towards me as I was the only one to mention Starks.

Apparently he is due $1.4MM next year, which I learned in another thread.  The Packers have to find ways to save some money and you better believe that is one of the places they'll look. 

Even if he wasn't due all that money, they would probably be looking to move on anyways for the reasons that Vegas just stated.

Offline Beagle

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 10:40:06 AM »
TT does not do Free Agency.
Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. -V. Lombardi

AldenRoche

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 10:42:28 AM »
TT does not.
He will look at free agency as he always does and weigh the pros and cons.  He may very well sign a guy or two, but it won't be guys who cost a lot of money.  He is saving that money for our home grown talent.

I think you have correctly diagnosed TT's overall formula to building the team. My question is, after spending his first 6 picks on D last year and seeing some incremental improvement but with the D getting abused in the playoffs for the 3rd time in the last 4 seasons, does he deviate (at least just a little) from that formula?

Indeed, he put a whole lot of $ into homegrown free agent AJ Hawk just 2 offseasons ago and I don't think most Packers' fans view that as a wise investment. IMO, the D needs an infusion of talent and attitude/toughness that is more likely to come from a veteran than from a rookie no matter how precocious he might be.

Offline ClayAttack420

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 10:44:21 AM »
I won't touch a player who has issues staying on the field and Starks is a good demonstration. I think he has some talent but will never get it all together cuz he spends half the season licking wounds. Luckily we have Harris now and he keeps impressing. That was a nice td run and also keeps those little feet turning. He got little guy syndrom and I'm loving it. I hope he sells that first car this off-season. He wants to go back to the dealership to finish what he started and that shows character.

Offline Half Empty

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 11:09:19 AM »

I guess I don't really understand this comment.  I'm assuming it was directed towards me as I was the only one to mention Starks.

True.  Since you wrote "Jennings, Finley, Woodson, Starks, Hawk, Starks, Pickett ...all may be gone, I figured you wanted to emphasize him.

Apparently he is due $1.4MM next year, which I learned in another thread.  The Packers have to find ways to save some money and you better believe that is one of the places they'll look. 

I think the other thread has been corrected, but Starks contract for next year is about $600K

Even if he wasn't due all that money, they would probably be looking to move on anyways for the reasons that Vegas just stated.

Agreed

Offline Beast Light

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 12:40:52 PM »

True.  Since you wrote "Jennings, Finley, Woodson, Starks, Hawk, Starks, Pickett ...all may be gone, I figured you wanted to emphasize him.

I think the other thread has been corrected, but Starks contract for next year is about $600K

Agreed

LOL, ok, I see it now.  Didn't realize I typed his name twice  :P

If he is only due the $600k, then that changes things a lot.  He should be worried if they draft a RB though.

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 02:03:26 PM »
TT does not.

I think you have correctly diagnosed TT's overall formula to building the team. My question is, after spending his first 6 picks on D last year and seeing some incremental improvement but with the D getting abused in the playoffs for the 3rd time in the last 4 seasons, does he deviate (at least just a little) from that formula?

Indeed, he put a whole lot of $ into homegrown free agent AJ Hawk just 2 offseasons ago and I don't think most Packers' fans view that as a wise investment. IMO, the D needs an infusion of talent and attitude/toughness that is more likely to come from a veteran than from a rookie no matter how precocious he might be.
Oh, I agree with you.  I want him to sign a starting linebacker this off season.
But that isn't how he works.  He will look, he will kick some tires, but unless the player is inexpensive, TT isn't likely to buy.