December 15, 2017, 08:11:24 AM

Author Topic: Free Agency This Offseason?  (Read 5633 times)

Offline mavajo

• HOF Member
  • sinatra - Posting at www.gbpackeraddicts.com now.
Re: Free Agency This Offseason?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 02:04:54 PM »
A bruiser at either ILB or SS and a big body on the defensive line would help this defense a lot, I think.

Offline Wisco

• All Pro
  • follow me on twitter @mccarty_cory
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 02:07:47 PM »
I think most of us agree that we need some sort of change for us to have a chance at a superbowl next year. IMO I dont see any coach changes even though I would be okay with that, I really think if we want to get back to a legit superbowl contending team we need to dip our hands into free agency. I hope TT makes this change and am not saying go nuts but there is players out there with right mentality that would be great for the packers. We can't be the team that spends draft after draft, drafting the same side of the ball.
New to the site

Offline Dubz41

• All Pro
  • Government Cheese
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 02:34:17 PM »
TT does not do Free Agency.

Urban myth.  TT does free agency (Woodson, Pickett) he just doesn't do it like we want him to. 8)
It's not what he doesn't know that bothers me. It's what he knows for sure that just ain't so!-Will Rogers

Offline mitch connor

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 11:02:53 PM »
I still think this may be a good year to find an affordable rb in free agency.

Offline GBRoCk2

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 08:52:11 AM »
I still think this may be a good year to find an affordable rb in free agency.
Some guys I like that could be cheap...

Blount
Ivory
Mendenhall - His injury history is a concern but if anything NFL backs proved they can bounce back this season

We definitely want a physical guy IMO to pair with Harris. Ivory would be ideal.

Offline Packinatl

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2013, 09:02:22 AM »
Flat cap this year and also need to extend Matthews and Raji? 

I do not see any top tier FA spending this year
"The day you sign a client is the day you start losing one."

Offline cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 09:11:54 AM »

I think you have correctly diagnosed TT's overall formula to building the team. My question is, after spending his first 6 picks on D last year and seeing some incremental improvement but with the D getting abused in the playoffs for the 3rd time in the last 4 seasons, does he deviate (at least just a little) from that formula?
It's going to be very hard with Matthews, Raji and Rodgers coming due. Remember, the more money you spend in FA, the less you have to invest in those 3.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline Jeremy

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 09:55:45 AM »
He jumped boldly (by his standards) into free agency last year and look where it got him.  Hargrove was cut, Saturday was ineffective, and Benson got hurt.  I think he'll probably stick to what he's best at. 

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2013, 12:41:32 PM »
TT is no dummy.
He knows that he needs playmakers if we are to advance in the playoffs.
If there is one in free agency who fits what we do, I don't think he will hesitate to take the man.

Some hard decision have to be made in the future.  But there are ones now that will be difficult as well.  He needs to dump some marginal talent and gain cap room.  We shall see if he does it.

Offline Terranimal

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 06:50:49 PM »
Flat cap this year and also need to extend Matthews and Raji? 

I do not see any top tier FA spending this year

Well i don't see top tier spending any year other than when we signed Pickett.... :(

That said, depending on who we retain,sign, and cut there might be some money for a couple of mid level guys.....

Offline vegas492

• HOF Member
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 08:42:54 AM »
I saw a list of free agents at FootballFutures website.

2 names caught my attention.  Richard Seymour and Shaun Phillips.  I think that Seymour is 33 and Phillips is 32.  Both have excelled in the 3-4.  Seymour has been injury prone lately, but in a rotation he could be good.  And boy, could he ever teach our linemen a thing or two.

Phillips is the one I like best.  He is a complete OLB.  Coverage?  check.  Stop the run?  Check.  Pass Rush?  Check.

And these should be mid-tier guys on short deals.  I'm sure there are more out there, but these are just the two that got my attention.

Offline BK5931

• Rookie
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 06:53:09 AM »
Not sure how much he would be commanding, guessing somewhere between 5 and 8 million but Richard Seymour would add a 3 down player and a pass rush threat that we haven't had since Jenkins left.  I know money is tight but a short contract maybe 2 or 3 years we could get a very hungry player that knows how to win.  Yes he does get some penalties but we could use this type of player. You gotta believe Woodson would take a pay cut if it ensured getting Seymour.

If we could get him in the fold then TT could focus on finding a RB, C/G and get stronger at LB through the draft.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:53:57 AM by BK5931 »