August 18, 2017, 01:09:46 PM

Author Topic: Linebackers in 2017  (Read 7679 times)

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
Linebackers in 2017
« on: April 29, 2017, 08:32:27 PM »
This group, especially EDGE, makes me nervous. Not convinced right now if Fackrell, Elliott, or Biegel are ready to get after the passer consistently. Matthews and Perry have innjury history. Inside I see improving Thomas, Martinez and Ryan. I like those guys and think we'll get good play out of them.

91   Elliott, Jayrone           LB   6-3   255   25   4   Toledo
51   Fackrell, Kyler           LB   6-5   245   25   2   Utah State
93   Gilbert, Reggie           LB   6-3   261   24   1   Arizona
50   Martinez, Blake           LB   6-2   237   23   2   Stanford
49   Mathews, Derrick   LB   6-0   232   24   1   Houston
52   Matthews, Clay           LB   6-3   255   30   9   Southern California
53   Perry, Nick           LB   6-3   265   27   6   Southern California
47   Ryan, Jake           LB   6-2   240   25   3   Michigan
48   Thomas, Joe           LB   6-1   227   25   3   South Carolina State
58   Tripp, Jordanm          LB   6-3   234   26   4   Montana
        Vince Biegel              LB     6-3   246                 Wisconsin
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 08:37:18 PM by golfman »
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Online cheech

• HOF Member
Re: Linebackers in 2017
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 08:49:47 PM »
It sure looks like Reggie Gilbert will have a good shot at the 53.  He was OK last year. 
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline pacman5252

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2017, 09:11:38 PM »
Elliot, Fackrell, or Biegel need to contribute. I'm only counting on 13 games a piece for Clay and Perry.

I have hope for Ryan. He played well last year and kept showing improvement. I'm not high on Blake or Thomas. I wouldn't be surprised if Jones plays lb in Nicole or dime

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2017, 09:25:19 PM »
I will be curious to see how Biegel does.

I worry that Biegel and TJ Watt are products of the system that Aranda put in place and continued after he left last year, and thus look better than they are.

Hopefully I am wrong, and he continues the great production that he had at Wisconsin.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 04:09:12 AM »
Add DE/OLB Jonathan Calvin and ILB Cody Heiman to the list (undrafted FAs).
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 09:09:14 AM »
Heiman has talent... If the Packs keep 4 true ILB's, he has a good shot.

I've mbeen an advocate for the three returning ILB's and look for the group to make the next step up... Solid/average in 2016 to good/play makers in 2017.

Really like the OLB position except for one weakness. Packers have good/excellent starters and real nice depth with the young guys for positions 4-6... After the draft, the Packer lack that 3rd /top reserve OLB. With Mathews and Perry's injury history, that's  concerning... It would be great if one ore more of the young guys steps up as the top reserve, but who knows... Somehow, I'd really like the Packers to acquire that 3rd OLB before the season.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 01:53:21 PM »
We've still got major issues at OLB IMO.  Peppers and Jones played significant defined roles on our defense last year and I'm not sure we've got replacements.  Doesn't help that CM3 and Perry are two of the most injury prone players in the NFL at their position. 

We could very well need both Elliott and Fackrell to provide starter caliber play and snaps which could lead to a substantial amount of trouble  Doesn't matter how much talent you have in your secondary if you are giving your opponent 4 or 5 seconds to throw the ball.  Against Atlanta, lack of pass rush was every bit as big of a problem as lack of speed in the secondary.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 01:55:54 PM by SSG »
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 02:25:42 PM »
I would have liked to see them go after Hunter Dimick (Utah) in the 7th, or as a priority udfa.

Dimick is 6'3"/270, was not invited to the Combine DESPITE being 1st team all-PAC 12 in 2016 when he finished 3rd in the country with 14.5 sacks and was one of the top TFL producers with 20 of them. At his pro day he ran a 4.69 & 4.72 "40-dash" and put up 38 reps on the bench. He was strong against the run as well.

He was no one-year-wonder (like Watt) either. He had 3 strong years of production at Utah.

How does a kid with that kind of production against top OL (which the PAC-12 has) competition go undrafted???

Just read today that he has agreed to an udfa contract with JAX.

He would have been a perfect fit at backup to Perry. Remember his name. Wish he was in Green and Gold.  :(

Offline 246 toothpicks

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 03:17:54 PM »
Heiman has talent... If the Packs keep 4 true ILB's, he has a good shot.

I've mbeen an advocate for the three returning ILB's and look for the group to make the next step up... Solid/average in 2016 to good/play makers in 2017.

Really like the OLB position except for one weakness. Packers have good/excellent starters and real nice depth with the young guys for positions 4-6... After the draft, the Packer lack that 3rd /top reserve OLB. With Mathews and Perry's injury history, that's  concerning... It would be great if one ore more of the young guys steps up as the top reserve, but who knows... Somehow, I'd really like the Packers to acquire that 3rd OLB before the season.
I agree. Heiman has skills and some great measurables. He's definitely one to watch.

Offline Toddfather

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 06:43:02 PM »
It's my dream to see Perry, and Matthews on the field at the same time for the whole season. If that happens, I think things can make a major change. Obviously, history goes against my dream. LBs is definitely the weakest part of our defense IMO. We will know a lot more when camp starts.

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 09:28:12 AM »
It's my dream to see Perry, and Matthews on the field at the same time for the whole season. If that happens, I think things can make a major change. Obviously, history goes against my dream. LBs is definitely the weakest part of our defense IMO. We will know a lot more when camp starts.

That's a huge if given the lengthy and recent injury history both have had.  Its a must though if we're going to have a championship caliber defense.  We lost some quality players in that LB core that we didn't replace.  While I wasn't his biggest fan as a pass rusher, Datone Jones saw a plethora of quality snaps in run support last year. I don't know if we've got that replacement currently on the roster. 

If Mathews and Perry stay healthy and see over 75-80% of our defensive snaps, we might be ok at OLB. 
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline Donzo

• HOF Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 06:44:39 PM »
Awesome analysis on VB! The guy likes him a lot, but he's dropping knowledge to back it up

http://www.jsonline.com/videos/sports/nfl/packers/2017/05/01/breaking-down-vince-biegel's-game/101130452/

A sub 7.0 3-cone (VB had a 6.93) is an excellent indicator for pass rushing success for man VB's size. It shows the quick-twitch to move quickly through various pass rushing moves. 

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 12:59:46 PM »
Agree that the linebackers, inside and outside, may be a thin and vulnerable group, and that the pass-rush is a huge question mark.  We'll see hot it goes. 

The above analysis on Biegel is pretty interesting and encouraging. 

I'm hopeful that Ryan, Martinez, and Thomas will hold up physically, and will all improve variably much, and do a good job inside.  And that using Burnett and maybe Jones in that group will help, too.  Don't think that's a real great group, but hoping they'll play well and be just fine, not be a problem or weakness.  Using more Burnett/Brice/Jones on passing downs and less Ryan/Martinez is just fine with me. 

Perry and Matthews, they're solid.  Matthews doesn't seem to have much pass-rush excellence left anymore; hopefully I'm wrong and he'll be healthy and really effective. 

Will be interesting to see how snaps and performance plays out among Fackrell, Biegel, and Elliot.  The group may end up being fine. 

Overall, the linebacker groups seem like groups where there is not that much drama about who will make the team and who will be main players, other than guessing among the three backup OLB. 

Heh heh, I htink it would be very fun to have Jon Calvin on the team.  But where is Martin Luther? 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 04:11:08 PM »
(On depth at outside linebacker) "Feel good about the depth at outside linebacker. We’re operating at a 90-man roster and that’s really what I look for big-picture wise, is you want the most competitive 90-man roster as you possibly can because competition makes your football team better; we know that, whether it’s Phase III of OTAs or training camp, the outside linebacker position this is probably as good of depth as we’ve had there in some time. I think you’ll really see some of our guys jump out in training camp as we get the pads on."

A quote from MM presser this morning, " the outside linebacker position this is probably as good of depth as we’ve had there in some time." Surely you jest MM fore I have heard far and wide that TT must certainly sign one legged Elvis from Baltimore , but only then will all be well in Packerland. 

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 05:28:52 PM »
Thanks, RT.  That's unexpected.  Encouraging, I guess?