August 18, 2017, 01:05:38 PM

Author Topic: Running Backs in 2017  (Read 14488 times)

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
Running Backs in 2017
« on: April 30, 2017, 07:25:41 AM »
Lets start a thread for each position classification.

This is what I want them to say about our RB / or RB class. It's a tremendous weapon. In this instance, its about Dalvin Cook:

"Cook had a disappointing NFL Combine, but his speed and burst always showed up in game action. He can get to the edge as a runner and when given a small crease from his blocking, hes a threat to take it to the house. Cook forced 92 missed tackles in 2016 behind subpar run blocking, showing that he can create his own yardage even when the blocking is less than ideal. Cook also provides a big-play threat in the pass game as he must be accounted for on every play."

Offline morango

• HOF Member
Re: Running Backs in 2017
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 07:33:43 AM »

This is what I want them to say about our RB / or RB class. It's a tremendous weapon. In this instance, its about Dalvin Cook:

"Cook had a disappointing NFL Combine, but his speed and burst always showed up in game action. He can get to the edge as a runner and when given a small crease from his blocking, hes a threat to take it to the house. Cook forced 92 missed tackles in 2016 behind subpar run blocking, showing that he can create his own yardage even when the blocking is less than ideal. Cook also provides a big-play threat in the pass game as he must be accounted for on every play."

Leader what's up with your thread starter? You want us to discuss the packers running backs but you give us a paragraph about Dalvin Cook to seed the discussion?

Let me guess. You wanted TT to select Cook.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 07:35:54 AM »

Leader what's up with your thread starter? You want us to discuss the packers running backs but you give us a paragraph about Dalvin Cook to seed the discussion?

Let me guess. You wanted TT to select Cook.

No. Chill. I needed to say something. Thats all. It's the "talent" I'm hoping we drafted.

Offline morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 07:37:18 AM »
Oh gotcha. No sweat.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 07:44:23 AM »
As Golf mentioned in the WR thread - the effect our TE's will have on the running game will be interesting to gauge. Not that I value them most for their blocking skills - but from the sounds of it we've finally got a few that can lay down some blocks in the running game. Perhaps it'll open the field up a bit more for us.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 07:46:51 AM »
Our running backs are complimentary to the passing game. I'm fine with what we have and took a RB about where I wanted in the draft. I DO NOT want McCarthy to get in his head he's a run first team. It makes our offense stagnant and predictable. We've got enough guys to get the job done efficiently. Had we taken one of the top guys it would have been one less defender to help our defense. If we put up a top 10-15 defense, we hoist the Lombardi. If we have a top 10 running game and a terrible defense we are out again in the NFC playoffs.

34   Jackson, Don           RB   5-10   208   23   2   Nevada
32   Michael, Christine   RB   5-10   220   26   5   Texas A&M
88   Montgomery, Ty   RB   6-0   216   24   3   Stanford
        Jones, Aaron           RB   5-9   208   22   R   Texas-El Paso
   Mays, Devante           RB   5-11   230   22   R   Utah State
30   Williams, Jamaal   RB   6-0   213   22   R   Brigham Young

40   Kerridge, Joe           FB   6-0   245   24   2   Michigan
22   Ripkowski, Aaron   FB   6-1   246   24   3   Oklahoma
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 07:52:17 AM »
My guess and bold assertion is that two of the RB's make the roster, with one possibly stashed on the PS. TT has no intention of getting caught short again. And perhaps, with more RB's available, perhaps MM will actually try to make the run a regular part of the offense. No, this doesn't mean the Packers will become a "run first" team. But they just might become more balanced. And that would make them more effective.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 07:54:25 AM »
My guess and bold assertion is that two of the RB's make the roster, with one possibly stashed on the PS. TT has no intention of getting caught short again. And perhaps, with more RB's available, perhaps MM will actually try to make the run a regular part of the offense. No, this doesn't mean the Packers will become a "run first" team. But they just might become more balanced. And that would make them more effective.

More balanced is good, but when McCarthy goes into a game determined to run our offense is so predictable.

Offline morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 07:56:21 AM »
I would be surprised to see Christine Michael on the roster in September. He is fast but can't be relied upon to know the play. Three rookie draft picks make me believe he is expendable.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 07:58:18 AM »
I would be surprised to see Christine Michael on the roster in September. He is fast but can't be relied upon to know the play. Three rookie draft picks make me believe he is expendable.

I'm almost wondering if by drafting three rookies there isn't some trepidation about having Montgomery as a RB and maybe moving him back to WR. Probably not, but I had high hopes for that kid as a WR.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 08:00:44 AM »
Back in Edgar Bennett days.......third and one was a passing down. Our OL could be so manhandled by GOOD opposing DL's that we'd be forced to pass and there's something just not right about that LOL.

I'm not a proponent of a "Banger-style" running game. Not at all. Quite the opposite. I want fast and "where'd he go?" running backs. 

But we DO need to bang at times - if ONLY - to move the chains and give our defense some rest.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 08:01:11 AM »
I wouldn't sell Christine Michael short.  He is a talented guy, if he can learn the system.  I just don't if he can- his mental errors seem to limit him.

I watched BYU vs Michigan State, and I like Williams as a back.  He isn't flashy, but he seems NFL ready.  Runs hard, commits to the hole, can get yards after contact, and most importantly stayed in and blocked in the protection scheme on pass plays.  Won't be in the pro bowl, but he looks like he can contribute.  James Starks'ish without the fumbles.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 08:01:46 AM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 08:04:22 AM »

I'm almost wondering if by drafting three rookies there isn't some trepidation about having Montgomery as a RB and maybe moving him back to WR. Probably not, but I had high hopes for that kid as a WR.

Ahhhhhh yes....you're on to something I've been alluding to as well. Our future WR needs could include Mr. Monty stepping back up the LOS - but even if not - having a field swarming with GOOD potential receivers - with AR @ QB (?) - exactly what I want.

Monty can catch out of the backfield. This guy Jones can certainly do it........

Options, options, options....and AR.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 08:06:37 AM »

I think they are committed to Montgomery, but recognize the need at least 2 more guys they can count on to get yards in games.  I think bringing in that many helps improve the odds of finding those two others.  None of the three are sure things.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 08:07:35 AM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2017, 08:08:31 AM »

Maybe MM is lying, but he has now gone as record that Montgomery is the Packers #1 RB:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/30/ty-montgomery-absolutely-the-starting-running-back-in-green-bay/

As far as Montgomery as a WR, he should get the opportunity to line up in the slot or catch the ball out of the backfield. Oh, and MM being predictable? As in the Packers are a pass first team, with the run being an afterthought? That is where having more able RB's could help out, creating a more balanced attack.

And Michael? He can't seem to stick with a team. Why should the Packers be different? Their playbook is supposedly very difficult to grasp. Yet some players "get it" relatively quickly, while others (Jeff Janis) seem to never quite have a handle on their assignments.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid