September 21, 2017, 08:50:54 AM

Author Topic: Martellus Bennett  (Read 1585 times)

Offline jameslofton

• HOF Member
Martellus Bennett
« on: May 24, 2017, 06:06:44 PM »
I like this guy, and I'm sure the press does too. He's a great interview. Most Packers just follow the typical script when they answer reporter questions.  Some of my personal favorites include texting Rodgers, "I like chocolate chip cookies, what kind of cookies do you like?" And he loves the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which is one of my favs. Too cool. Definitely worth a watch:

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Bennett_embraces_Captain_of_Fun_role/d1194196-d31f-4929-8c96-1bf91e221ee8

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
Re: Martellus Bennett
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 07:03:38 PM »
He's a real funny dude.  How can you not like this guy?

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 08:53:09 PM »
I like Marty's personality a lot! He's a breath of fresh air from the standard "canned" responses that players seem obligated to give to reporters.

But, I'll like him even more if he leads the league in receiving yards, receptions, and TD's.

;D

Offline Toddfather

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 09:45:07 PM »
http://www.totalprosports.com/2016/10/13/martellus-bennett-recalls-bears-fight-kyle-fuller-video/

check the video in the middle of the page of a segment of his E60 spot where he addresses the Bears. I feel this is something we really need more of in the locker room. I don't think he will be trouble if people show up to work, and come to play. I feel our program does exactly that, and with his extra intensity and fight it could make a solid locker room even tighter. Us against the world.

p.s. There is some language, but it's worth the watch. The guy is coming to play, and win.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 10:46:27 PM »
http://www.totalprosports.com/2016/10/13/martellus-bennett-recalls-bears-fight-kyle-fuller-video/

check the video in the middle of the page of a segment of his E60 spot where he addresses the Bears. I feel this is something we really need more of in the locker room. I don't think he will be trouble if people show up to work, and come to play. I feel our program does exactly that, and with his extra intensity and fight it could make a solid locker room even tighter. Us against the world.

p.s. There is some language, but it's worth the watch. The guy is coming to play, and win.

Got a little Mike Daniels in him.  Nothing wrong with that.  More I see of him the more I like.  Funny dude with an attitude.  Coming off a Superbowl victory with the Pats doesn't hurt either.  Everything I have read and seen looks really good on paper.  The proof will come on Sundays.  Hoping this guy can adjust quickly, get on the same page as Aaron, and make some plays. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 09:26:59 AM »
This guy always struck me as a guy who was great when things were going good, but would turn on his team when they weren't. We are in the honeymoon stage right now, fans love FA signings, the bigger the name the better. Has anyone ever wondered why New England made no attempt to re-sign him. The Giants didn't want him back after one year either.

http://www.espn.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/11311835/martellus-bennett-chicago-bears-suspended-practice-fight-kyle-fuller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGmP43Zx4rc

Found it odd that not one veteran in the Bears lockerroom backed Bennett, all supported the rookie Fuller.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 11:30:21 AM »
That was a bad play by Fuller.  Bennett was well within his rights there.  Fuller is a dirty player and that stunt he pulled could have ended Bennett's career.  Sorry that doesn't sit well with me.  He'll be a great teammate.  Guy is funny.  He'll add a different element to the locker room.  On the field his play speaks for itself.  Was a great signing all the way around. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 09:44:17 AM »
This would make for a very interesting psychological case study. It would be nice to get as many responses to Bennett as possible. Please share your thoughts.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 11:56:38 AM »
I tend to separate the 1 yr in each NY & NE from the CHI incident.
Unrelated IMO.
First, Fuller's tackle was high and he spun Bennett in a manner where Bennett could have injured a knee if his cleats had got caught in the turf. I don't think it was "being tackled" that Bennett took offense to, it was the "method" with which Fuller chose to tackle him.
I believe Bennett was justified in being upset, but went above/beyond righteous anger.

As for the 1 yr stints in NY and NE.

Didn't CHI trade Bennett to NY with just one year left in his contract? Just my own speculation but NYG's may not have wanted to meet his contract demands and let him leave in UFA.
As for NE? Again, MB signed a 1yr deal with them and was a good insurance policy to have since Gronk went down....again. But it may have been too much of a luxury to have 2 top paid TE's on the team, so NE let him walk as well. Or maybe Belichik thought he could bring MB back on the cheap and Cook asking for the moon started a domino effect that brought MB to GB.

Either way, I prefer to let Marty and his play determine my opinion of him and his value to the GBP's.

The fact TT signed him for 3 yrs instead of 1yr speaks loudly at the moment.

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 12:38:39 PM »
I tend to separate the 1 yr in each NY & NE from the CHI incident.
Unrelated IMO.
First, Fuller's tackle was high and he spun Bennett in a manner where Bennett could have injured a knee if his cleats had got caught in the turf. I don't think it was "being tackled" that Bennett took offense to, it was the "method" with which Fuller chose to tackle him.
I believe Bennett was justified in being upset, but went above/beyond righteous anger.

As for the 1 yr stints in NY and NE.

Didn't CHI trade Bennett to NY with just one year left in his contract? Just my own speculation but NYG's may not have wanted to meet his contract demands and let him leave in UFA.
As for NE? Again, MB signed a 1yr deal with them and was a good insurance policy to have since Gronk went down....again. But it may have been too much of a luxury to have 2 top paid TE's on the team, so NE let him walk as well. Or maybe Belichik thought he could bring MB back on the cheap and Cook asking for the moon started a domino effect that brought MB to GB.

Either way, I prefer to let Marty and his play determine my opinion of him and his value to the GBP's.

The fact TT signed him for 3 yrs instead of 1yr speaks loudly at the moment.

I agree with your point Danno. 

Just want to clarify that the stay with the Giants was before the Bears- he left the Cowboys for the Giants on a one year free agent deal, then left the Giants for the Bears.

The Bears traded him to the Pats with one year left.  As I recall, the Bears wanted to get younger and let Forte walk at the same time.  With regard to the Fuller incident, what Fuller did was wrong- you don't do that to a team mate, especially when you are new rookie.  If there were veterans that supported Fuller over Bennett on that one, then that incident makes me think that the Bears had a dysfunctional locker room and that is why they are perennial losers. 

My view is that him coming to Green Bay was a simple business decision- Bellichick could replace him with a guy he liked at a lower price, and the Packers preferred him to Cook at the kind of money that Cook wanted.

I don't read too much into his personality issues- I think they are definitely there, but I think the Packers locker room is strong enough to keep those issues to a minimum.  He is a confidant, colorful personality, but he is highly intelligent and wants to win.  I like that aspect of him. Playing with Rodgers, and being the clear cut number one, on a good contract should go a long way to keeping him positive.  We'll see, I could be wrong, but I am not concerned at this point.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 12:54:38 PM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 08:50:44 PM »
Thanks for cleaning up after me Twain.

Forgot that it was Bears to Pats. Just remembered he still had 1 yr. left on his deal.

Glad he's in GB, and hope he's one of AR's favorite targets.

Opposing DC's are going to have a lot of sleepless night trying to figure out how to/IF they can stop GB's offense.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 11:08:51 AM »
That's interesting about Cook, a person could normally assume a TE would naturally be a good red zone weapon.