November 23, 2017, 12:27:36 PM

Author Topic: The first seven weeks  (Read 898 times)

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
The first seven weeks
« on: July 05, 2017, 04:58:55 PM »
When the Packers hit the bye week they will have played 7 regular season games.
Seahawks at home
Falcons away
Bengals at home
Bears at home
Cowboys away
Vikings away
Saints at home

What do you think the win/loss will be, as they go into the bye ?
I'm going with winning all the home games and losing all the away games, so 4-3 at the bye. Most of the Packers wins come after the bye week (7-2)
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Re: The first seven weeks
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 06:13:20 PM »
Early guess/projection:

Seahawks, win. The Packers are going to want to tackle Lacy, and Wilson always turns into Cutler against the Packers.

Loss at Atlanta, opening a new stadium. But I wouldn't be surprised at a win, as the Packers are still smarting from that loss, and I fully expect  the Falcons to have a sub-par year. It's their history- once or twice a decade play well, then return to mediocrity.

Win at Bengals. The only team Rodges hasn't beaten. And he knows it.

Win agsinst the hated Bears.

Loss at Cowboys. But it's a regular season game. When the games really count, expect a different outcome.

A win at the Vikings. Seriously, Bradford at QB? Pump in all the noise you want, won't make a difference.

Saints another victory. Their offense is good, their defense is terrible.

So, I expect a 5-2 at worst going into the bye. I get the feeling this team is getting really tired of getting close. They want to win. And unless Rodgers starts the season slowly again, this should be a team that is ready to go the distance.
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 07:28:26 AM »
Tough seven games and I'd take 5-2 right now and go to the bye week. I do get the feeling we are going to beat Atlanta this time. We got on the wrong side of momentum and our defense is going to be a lot faster and I would think a lot healthier. Given those two things, I think we're the better football team.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 08:08:02 AM »
I would go 6-1. The one game that they lose is to the Bengals. I know it doesn't make sense, but between the Falcons and Bears they could have a mental let down and the Bengals pick up the win.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 12:45:25 AM »
If I was in that locker-room, this is what I would think,
Game 1. Seahawks , The last 6 meeting between these two have all been won by the home team. The Packers need to be on high alert in this game and they will be. The combination of the ass whoopin the Packers put on them last year and a very motivated Lacy in the backfield will have the Seahawks seeing blood on their arrival to Green Bay. The Packers defense has been waiting all off-season to get the taste of the playoff loss out of their mouthes and are the difference. Packers prevail. (1-0)

Game 2. Falcons , The Falcons will suffer with the Super Bowl loss hangover this year, as all Super Bowl losers do every year. Combine that with the whoopin Green Bay took there in the playoff and the Falcons are going to have a tiger by the tail when this one kicks off. The Packers and Rodgers have played well in Atlanta for the most part. A very motivaded Packers defense slows the Falcons enough. Packers prevail. (1-0)

Game 3. Bengals , The Bengals will be playing their first road game in this AFC-NFC matchup ln week 3. A subplot I love in this game is that Cincinnati is the only team Rodgers has never defeated. Now some may think that is not a big deal, but these guys want to check all the boxes when it comes to their legacy. Remember how upset Brady was when he lost at Lambeau in 2014, it is the only place he has not won a game at. Rodgers will make sure everyone is focused that week and prepared to play well come sunday. Packers prevail. (1-0)

Game 4. Bears , Thursday night home game. These short week games are always a huge advantage to the home team, couple that with Green Bay having a chance to take the lead in this series for the first time since 1932 and Lambeau should be rockin. Packers prevail. (1-0)

Game 5. Cowboys , At first glance people are going to think advantage Dallas. But their is a lot in the Packers favor in this game. Start with Dak Prescott, last year the Cowboys had the element of surprise on their side with the change of QB and a completely different offense than what DC's studied all off-season in preparing for Romo. Teams have a year of film now and Prescott will have a little tougher go of it this year. Another thing in the Packers favor is the extra rest and preparation time they have from coming off the thursday night game. And I think the Packers are in their heads. Packers prevail. (1-0)

Game 6. Vikings , This will be another difficult test to determine early favoritism for the division. A game where one play here or there could make the difference. But 2 things in the Packers advantage here. First, the schedule is in their favor again, the Vikings will be coming off a monday night road game. Again the Packers will have the advantage in rest and preparation for this game. Secondly, if the game is going to hinge on who can make one more play, I'm going with Rodgers to make the one more play. Packers prevail. (1-0)

Game 7. Saints , This will probably be a high scoring affair, you would need to back to 1993 to find a game between these two that was not. The Saints have not fared well in their trips to Wisconsin in the past, having lost 9 out of the last 10. The Saints always have been a better team on turf than on the grass. Again the schedule gives Green Bay a slight advantage, the Saints will be playing their 3rd road game in a 4 game stretch, with one of those road game in London. Packers prevail. (1-0)

The Packers will attack the schedule one game at a time, with the goal to be 1-0 each week. For the first seven weeks, I see the Packers going 1-0 each week.   
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 12:55:38 AM by RT »

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 06:04:19 AM »
When the Packers hit the bye week they will have played 7 regular season games.
Seahawks at home
Falcons away
Bengals at home
Bears at home
Cowboys away
Vikings away
Saints at home

What do you think the win/loss will be, as they go into the bye ?
I'm going with winning all the home games and losing all the away games, so 4-3 at the bye. Most of the Packers wins come after the bye week (7-2)

Seasoned Packer watcher.  Yep that is the most likely scenario.  Packers are always young.  They start off slow and finish strong.  At least most of the time.  Never that easy though 1265.  They will probably win and lose a few games you wouldn't expect.  I think 4-3 sounds just about right through the first 7.  If they go 5-2 that would be a nice strong start. 

Seahawks at home slug it out.  Pack eeks out a win in a hard fought nail-biter.
Falcons away  Pack loses in a hard fought nail-biter.
Bengals at home Drop one they shouldn't.
Bears at home  Bears really?  Run them out of the stadium.
Cowboys away Win one they shouldn't.
Vikings away Drop this one.
Saints at home  Win in a shoot out.

4-3...

Online Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 11:46:34 AM »
I don't know what the record will be, but to me it seems likely that 4 or 5 of those teams are playoff teams next year, and possible that 6 of them are.  Yikes.  Tough start to the season.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:47:17 AM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 11:15:38 AM »
I don't know what the record will be, but to me it seems likely that 4 or 5 of those teams are playoff teams next year, and possible that 6 of them are.  Yikes.  Tough start to the season.
Agree that it looks like a tough schedule on the surface, but year to year we never know where all the rough spots in the road are.
Last year at this time a lot of people thought that the NFC East was going to be weak, as it turned out there were no easy games with them. The same was said of the AFC South, in the end the Packers went 2-2 against both.
Each year I take a close look at when we play each team. Avoiding games where teams are coming off a bye but the Packers are not is a plus. I would like to see the numbers on those games, I believe that is a huge advantage to the bye team.
For me, the ideal time to catch a non-conference foe is when they are coming off a game with their toughest division rival, also would be an interest statistic to see.
Just a few thoughts for people when evaluating the schedule.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 11:17:12 AM by RT »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 12:05:40 PM »
I would go 6-1. The one game that they lose is to the Bengals. I know it doesn't make sense, but between the Falcons and Bears they could have a mental let down and the Bengals pick up the win.
A little scheduling tidbit on the Bengals game, the Bengals play a thursday night game the week before the Packers. Thus giving the Bengals 3 extra days to prepare against an uncommon opponent. Advantage Cincinnati.