November 23, 2017, 12:28:04 PM

Author Topic: Rodgers: setting a new standard for QB accountability  (Read 2358 times)

Online ricky

• HOF Member
Rodgers: setting a new standard for QB accountability
« on: July 06, 2017, 07:03:38 PM »
Rodgers is three TD's away from 300 TD's. And he has thrown just 72 interceptions. No QB has ever done that, or had less than 100 int's. Another reason to stand in awe of this guy. By the way, check out two time SB MVP Eli Manning's stats.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/06/aaron-rodgers-will-be-first-qb-with-300-tds-before-100-interceptions/

"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
Re: Rodgers: setting a new standard for QB accountability
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 08:36:40 PM »
You beat me to posting the story Ricky but thanks for posting because it's really pretty amazing. Look at that list of QB's and then line them up. Brady will be second on that list with 40 more INT's. Put another way he'll have 53% more INT's than Rodgers did when he threw his 300th TD.

You can claim a 'different era' or different rules for defending, but look at the next group and ask yourself who is going to be close to that record?

Matt Ryan 240/114
Russell Wilson 127/45
Cam Newton 136/78
Andrew Luck 132/68
Derk Carr 81/31
Marcus Mariota 45/19
Jameis Winston 50/33

None of those will threaten what Rodgers is doing. Last year Dak Prescott put up 23/4 in his rookie year. Let's see what his sophomore season brings.

Packer fans we are witnessing the QB position being played at a level never seen before. When it's all done Rodgers will be the G.O.A.T. PERIOD!

"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 09:57:22 PM »
The comment section is funny in a way. Whenever stories compare Rodgers and Brady, the Patriot fans always get very defensive. They fear Rodgers is the one that can take away their proclaimed GOAT status from Brady. Without fail, they are in full smear mode.

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 05:50:43 AM »
You know stats are fine.  Brady has 5 yes count them 5 rings.  The guy is a champion.  That's how I measure it.  Rodgers is one of the best QB's I have ever seen.  Brady has the rings and in the end that is what matters the  most.  Rodgers better start winning some championships if he wants to be considered GOAT.  If anybody has any doubt just watch last year's Superbowl.  I don't think NE fans are too worried about Rodgers threatening Brady's legacy.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 06:03:28 AM »
You beat me to posting the story Ricky but thanks for posting because it's really pretty amazing. Look at that list of QB's and then line them up. Brady will be second on that list with 40 more INT's. Put another way he'll have 53% more INT's than Rodgers did when he threw his 300th TD.

You can claim a 'different era' or different rules for defending, but look at the next group and ask yourself who is going to be close to that record?

Matt Ryan 240/114
Russell Wilson 127/45
Cam Newton 136/78
Andrew Luck 132/68
Derk Carr 81/31
Marcus Mariota 45/19
Jameis Winston 50/33

None of those will threaten what Rodgers is doing. Last year Dak Prescott put up 23/4 in his rookie year. Let's see what his sophomore season brings.

Packer fans we are witnessing the QB position being played at a level never seen before. When it's all done Rodgers will be the G.O.A.T. PERIOD!

Mariotta has a chance. Prescott is indeed an interesting case. Indeed, an outstanding start. But can he sustain it? Stay tuned. Besides, with the number of TD's thrown by Prescott, he might never get close to 300.

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 06:34:22 AM »
Not without more Super Bowl wins he won't.

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 06:39:15 AM »
By the way, check out two time SB MVP Eli Manning's stats.
Elway's numbers were the one that caught my eye.  I'm surprised he finished with exactly 300 touchdowns.  Maybe he "helicoptered" his way to a lot of TDs (apologies for bringing that up).

Favre's numbers were better than I expected also.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 08:16:34 AM »
Not without more Super Bowl wins he won't.
Exactly. Five rings, seven appearances for Brady. Joe Montana was considered the GOAT because of his four wins. It's very unlikely AR will win five more, to surpass Brady. And that, of course, assumes Brady doesn't win another before he retires. Right now, AR is similar to Steve Young- a statistically freakish QB with one SB win.

Offline Kepler

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 10:56:59 AM »
Dan Marino says hello.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 11:15:51 AM »
OK, I have heard enough about Brady being the GOAT. He has 5 rings...Starr has 5 rings, in fact Starr got three in a row! Why not Starr being the GOAT?  It seems that first off, Starr isn't mentioned as GOAT because many don't count championships before the SB. Second, people who saw Starr also mention players like Unitas, or Otto Graham. But since there wasn't a SB or ESPN...not worth considering.

Most of the old writers and coaches find it amusing to discuss who's the best. When I was growing up, the best passer was Joe Namath. Unitas was the best 2:00 minute drill guy ever. Under pressure Unitas never seem to throw an interception or incompletion. The best scrambler and QB that used his legs was by far Fran Tarkenton. You know if you take the best of all of those guys, you have Aaron Rodgers. 300 TDs and <100 ints, is extremely remarkable. and realize this he could actually get 400 TDs with <100 ints. I think he is that good. Is he perfect and w/o flaws...no! But he has talent and plays the game to the fullest he can.

Tarkenton never won a championship. Unitas won a SB, but he never had the team like the Packers did in those days. Namath won a SB, but more on the back of their defense verses his arm. So if I had to draw a conclusion here is what I would say, I'll take a QB like Rodgers and hope that I can build enough of a defense to give him a shot at winning multiple SBs, but NO defense NO titles. That is something Green Bay has yet to overcome.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 11:58:16 AM »
Bravo! to you Hands.
The whole number of championships is the only thing that matters is such nonsense. Just a product of ESPN and east coast media bias. In years past, when debating the greats of the game, many were mentioned without championships to their credit. Marino is not in the conversion? Football is the ultimate team sport, always has been and always will be.
Using that same notion for greatness, lets take a look at other positions. The 3 greatest WR's of all time must be Lynn Swann, John Stallworth of the Steelers and of course Mike Wilson of the 49er's. 4 rings each, Jerry Rice is not top 3.
Greatest RB's of all-time with out a doubt are Franco Harris and Rocky Bleier, 4 rings each. Jim Brown, Walter Payton and Barry Sanders can't hold a candle to the top 2.
Reggie White and Bruce Smith they can't be the best D Linemen, don't have the rings to prove it. 
This isn't boxing or MMA or even basketball where one person can be the difference, it's football the ultimate team game. 

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 12:56:07 PM »
We are talking about QB's here.  No other position impacts a team as much.  Brady LED his team to 5 championships.  His IS the clear cut leader of the team.  When you are talking about the greatest QB of all time you bet championships factor in.  Rodgers may have better stats but Brady's Superbowl wins trumps it IMO.  Jury is still not out though.  Rodgers has a number of years left in his career and Brady's is winding down.  As far as Starr goes different era.  Completely different era.  Who would you as a QB on your team in their prime Brady or Starr?  Bottom line you have to factor in not only statistics but championships as well.  Championships do matter better believe it.  Marino is one of the greatest QB's but the greatest?  Nope...Why?  No rings...

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 01:24:51 PM »
Dan Marino says hello.

So does Michael Corleone- to Frank Pantangeli (Frankie Five Angels). But Marino has no rings, and is 420/252. And for anyone who thinks it is close between Rodgers and any other QB in this discussion, check this out:

http://www.footballdb.com/leaders/career-passing-tdintratio

Hands and RT, very interesting arguments. But trying to compare different eras simply doesn't work. There have been too many rules changes, more teams, more money, etc. And if you want someone who was a killer, Starr with third and short was the master of the play action pass for long gains. And was there ever a more deadly combination for first downs than Unintas to Berry? Memories, as Vic would say, make us rich. Or, maybe, like Roy Batty said, they're like tears in the rain.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 03:47:28 PM »
Ricky,

OK, let's compare Bart Starr to his peers. Johnny Unitas was widely considered the best QB of his era, yet his Championship resume pales in comparison to Starr's. It's simply unfair to compare just Championships and nothing else to determine the GOAT! Joe Montana was a winner, look what he did in Kansas City with a mediocre group.

I agree Rodgers is going to need 1 or 2 more titles to overtake Brady. I disagree he needs 5 and believe he's a better QB already.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 07:33:28 PM »
I'll take a QB like Rodgers and hope that I can build enough of a defense to give him a shot at winning multiple SBs, but NO defense NO titles. That is something Green Bay has yet to overcome.

The defense has definitely had issues but its hard to put all the blame on the defense when our offense wasn't pulling its weight in more than one playoff loss. 

- In 2011, the Giants defense dominated our record setting offense (@ Lambeau) in a game that we never really made all that competitive.  Our defense was bad but so was our offense as they managed just 20 points in a game in which they looked outclassed.
- In 2013 our defense played really well and more than made up for their previous year melt down.  Our offense played very mediocre and we lost another playoff game to San Fran.  You aren't going to win many playoff games where you can't pass for even 200 yards or score more than 20 points.
- In 2014 our defense got 5 turnovers, 3 of them already in scoring position.  Had the offense not stayed back in Green Bay, we likely don't give Seattle the chance to come back.  Our defense took the ball 3 times in scoring position and our offense managed just 22 points.
-Hard to blame the 2015 playoff loss on the offense given the injuries but that loss shouldn't be blamed on just our defense as they played well enough to get the W.
- Last year our offense was shut out by a really mediocre Atlanta defense for the first half.  Atlanta had no issues limiting them and down right dominated for long stretches.  While our defense was recorded setting bad our offense was every bit as bad.

AR12 is a great QB but he has been very mediocre on occasion in the playoffs and on those occasions we have generally lost.  Given the ridiculous gap in playoff success its hard to compare him to a guy like Brady.  Brady has had substantially less talent on his offenses yet he's been a substantially better playoff QB.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 07:41:45 PM by SSG »
Act your age, not your shoe size.