August 18, 2017, 01:03:04 PM

Author Topic: Surprise cut this summer?  (Read 3135 times)

Online Pugger

• HOF Member
Surprise cut this summer?
« on: July 19, 2017, 03:20:48 PM »
Is there a veteran(s) that you think might not make the final 53?

I'm wondering if Gunter is on the bubble.   Isn't he up against King, House, Randall, Rollins and a host of others?

Online cheech

• HOF Member
Re: Surprise cut this summer?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 03:45:47 PM »
Is there a veteran(s) that you think might not make the final 53?

I'm wondering if Gunter is on the bubble.   Isn't he up against King, House, Randall, Rollins and a host of others?

Gunter was our best CB last year.  Not saying much, but he had the #1 duties vs. Opposing teams #1 wide outs.  He's going to be in the league for quite some time.  Many teams are going to the bigger bodied CB's.  I'd be surprised if he's not starting at outside CB in week 1. 

Richard Rodgers could be the surprise cut for me.  No ST value as a #3 TE and 2 million per year puts him on the bubble.  He is a liability in the blocking game which makes him a big, slow wide receiver.  There are too many offensive weapons to even consider giving Rodgers offensive snaps at this point. I'd rather see Kerridge stick at FB or Sandland at TE since they both offer ST snaps. 
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 04:43:48 PM »
Doubt Gunther, health permitting.  There are some corners, but the depth isn't that long. 
King, Randall, House, and Rollins, but then after Gunther the competitors are Hawkins, Waters, and UDFA. 
Gunther has limits, but he's a size matchup piece, I think.  Might not use him every day, but some size-reciever matchups, he might get significant action. 

Online cpk1994

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 05:04:42 PM »
Janis. He is a complete zero at WR and at this point they can easily field special teams without him.
"Aaron Rodgers is a baaaaaaad man" - Stephen A. Smith

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 05:28:37 PM »
Aaron Rodgers would be a surprise cut for me!  hysterical

OK, I'll say Jahri Evans, although I'm not sure it would be that surprising.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 07:12:13 PM »
I have a few that would be a surprise to some.

Jahri Evans- If he does not win the starting RG spot, they will not keep him at all.

Geronimo Allison- It is no mystery my feelings here, I started a thread based on why I believe he would be cut. If he doesn't emerge as the
#4, I believe he is gone.

Ricky Jean Francois or Latroy Guion- I don't believe they keep both. And before writing Guion off, think about how many times he has survived in the past few years. He has someone with clout in his corner.

Joe Thomas- I just think his niche has been fazed out. He is no longer the 3rd down cover LB, Jones will be that. He is not replacing Ryan on early downs and Martinez will make it on draft status alone.(I also believe Martinez is a better all around player, but some will debate that). As for being the 3rd ILB, Tripp is a better STer and we don't know for sure what we have with Heiman yet either.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 07:32:53 PM »
My very surprise cut with Bennett, Kendricks, Nelson and Adams, and  the development  of young receivers as targets is Randall Cobb and his 10 mill contract.  Great player, great person, he is the Josh Sitton surprise cut of 2017.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 07:33:59 PM by The GM »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 07:53:12 PM »
My very surprise cut with Bennett, Kendricks, Nelson and Adams, and  the development  of young receivers as targets is Randall Cobb and his 10 mill contract.  Great player, great person, he is the Josh Sitton surprise cut of 2017.
The Sitton cut was driven by him wanting a new deal, no such problem with Cobb.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/12/report-packers-were-worried-about-josh-sitton-becoming-locker-room-cancer/

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 09:17:58 PM »

Knowing how much Ted hates "dead money" on the salary cap, I think it's safe to say Cobb isn't getting cut.

To cut him now would cost Green Bay $3.25M in dead money for 2017 and another $3.25M in dead money in 2018.

Not happening.

My surprise cut would be either Richard Rodgers (last year of contract......so big deal), or Quinten Rollins (he needs to play lights out in TC, especially if Waters, Hawkins, or Pipkens have a strong camp).

Online Pugger

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 12:35:30 AM »

Knowing how much Ted hates "dead money" on the salary cap, I think it's safe to say Cobb isn't getting cut.

To cut him now would cost Green Bay $3.25M in dead money for 2017 and another $3.25M in dead money in 2018.

Not happening.

My surprise cut would be either Richard Rodgers (last year of contract......so big deal), or Quinten Rollins (he needs to play lights out in TC, especially if Waters, Hawkins, or Pipkens have a strong camp).

Do you believe we'll go with only 2 TEs this coming season if we cut RR?

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 06:37:16 AM »

Not happening.

Sandland would be my guess to replace Rodgers.

But I am also intrigued by Aaron Peck, who is more of an H-back type TE. He is someone who could bridge between TE and FB which would help depth at both positions.
Doubt he makes the 53 man roster, but if they sign him to the PS it will be interesting to watch/see what kind of future role they may envision for him.

Online cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 07:23:21 AM »

Not happening.

When is Rodgers going to find snaps?

Bennett is going to play as much as possible.  Kendrick can line up at H-back and actually block as well as receive.

I'd imagine MM got sick of Rodgers and his missed blocking assignments.  Not to mention we have supposedly 7 WR's or more deserving to make the roster. 
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 07:51:46 AM »
I wouldnt consider RR getting cut a surprise.  Average or below TE who jumpstarted the Packers need to upgrade the position last year with Cook, then Bennett and Kendricks this year.  No surprise IMO.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:58:34 AM by The GM »

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 09:27:03 AM »
Cant say I've any clue what the roster / talent equation will be when it gets down to making cuts. What will our #3TE position be versus the potential player that would be cut to keep him? Wont have any idea till we get down to it - but - as limited as RR's game may be, he has scored 14TD's for us over 3 years. Irreplaceable? Certainly not - but 14TD's reflects some level of ability and is kinda handy to have around.

Offline OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 10:05:21 AM »

Not happening.

It is possible, but I agree it's somewhat unlikely this year, danno. At the end of the season (or rather the beginning of next season), the $3.25m loss looks less important, when his salary is $12.75m, especially if he continues to not play up to that heady figure. $9.5m saved is not chickenfeed, even taking into account that position needs to be taken by someone who will have to be paid.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"