December 16, 2017, 10:47:41 AM

Author Topic: Postgame Coaches Corner :: Preseason Game #1  (Read 3231 times)

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
Postgame Coaches Corner :: Preseason Game #1
« on: August 10, 2017, 09:58:53 PM »
Starting this up cause I've got to shut it down.....

How'd your guy do tonight?
Glass half full....or smashed and leaking all over? 

Online Twain

• HOF Member
Re: Postgame Coaches Corner :: Preseason Game #1
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 10:16:13 PM »
Too soon to say.

More data next week.
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 10:21:08 PM »
Liked the ST efforts, not much for sustained drives from the offense, Def showed some pressure just not enough, and Green Bay seems to be the same place every year in 1st pre-season game except for ST.
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!

Offline packdaddy

• All Pro
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 10:35:36 PM »
Really liked the young receivers, McCafree, Yancy, Clark, and Dupree (hope he's ok).  Where are we going to stash them all?  I mean, some team might take a flyer on a guy like Clark at 6'6" on potential alone if we try to get him onto our practice squad.

Looked like Callahan picked up where he left off last pre-season, and the BYU QB Hill looked like the game wasn't too big for him, albeit against the bottom of the Eagle's roster.

But the best thing I saw today was from a guy who wasn't even suited up.  To see Aaron Rodgers so engaged on the sideline, even up to the very end, and really interacting with all the young guys, should be exhibit A against the myth that he's supposedly not a good teammate or leader. 

I have a good feeling about the punter, Vogel.

Did not like the running game.  Thought the O-line blocked poorly, but when that happens, you'd like to see the RBs make a play or two in spite of it.

Online scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 10:47:56 PM »
Yancey and Clark stood out as far as WR's.  Clark makes it look easy.  That is the sign of a guy with some serious potential IMO. Dupree may end up being stashed for next year.

Injuries were disturbing.  Looks like we lost Donnie.   Randall we be our for at least a few weeks.  Brice finger he should be able to play through it.

Not sure what all the buzz is surrounding Callahan.  He's a gamer but not where he needs to be.  Hill showed some ability.  Aaron Jones showed nothing.  Granted only a few reps but looked like his feet were stuck in mud.  Thought Mays flashed a bit.  Williams will compete for the starting gig with Monty.

We have some good young corners.  Evans, Brown, Hawkins all looked like they belonged. 

Was nice to finally see some of these guys on the field.  Anyway just a few of my observations...

Offline Striker

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 11:03:50 PM »
If Davis can keep that up, would be great to have that boost in the punt return game.

Defense seemed to be faster to the ball, but the missed tackles were not ideal of course.

Offline be_here_now

• All Pro
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 12:18:43 AM »
i've only had the chance to watch the highlights so far, but King got burned a few times and wasn't tackling well.  please tell me he wasn't that bad all game...

Offline Striker

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 02:36:03 AM »
i've only had the chance to watch the highlights so far, but King got burned a few times and wasn't tackling well.  please tell me he wasn't that bad all game...

He was hot and cold. Got beat a couple times, had good coverage and made some good tackles/hard hits as well.

Offline Lodestar

• HOF Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 03:26:11 AM »
Yancey and Clark stood out as far as WR's.  Clark makes it look easy.  That is the sign of a guy with some serious potential IMO. Dupree may end up being stashed for next year.

Injuries were disturbing.  Looks like we lost Donnie.   Randall we be our for at least a few weeks.  Brice finger he should be able to play through it.

Not sure what all the buzz is surrounding Callahan.  He's a gamer but not where he needs to be.  Hill showed some ability.  Aaron Jones showed nothing.  Granted only a few reps but looked like his feet were stuck in mud.  Thought Mays flashed a bit.  Williams will compete for the starting gig with Monty.

We have some good young corners.  Evans, Brown, Hawkins all looked like they belonged. 

Was nice to finally see some of these guys on the field.  Anyway just a few of my observations...

Great post, scoremore. I agree with all of it.

"Hot and cold" is definitely the way to describe King tonight. He has attitude, I like that. I hope he can harness it well.

That Clark catch was a thing of beauty.

Offline morango

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 06:53:20 AM »
Well. I liked what I saw in general. The packers don't seem to ever suffer from a lack of effort. Nice signs from a lot of young players like Clark, Davis, Lenzy Pipkins, Martin Evans, etc. Some vets also flashed pretty well. Special teams in general was pretty good.

Did not like the play of the offensive line. No running game and poor protection. Also it seems like the defense will continue to struggle to stop opponents passing attacks. At some point IMO it can't just be that all the players are simply bad. There are problems with the defensive scheme when every crossing route is wide open.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 07:37:59 AM »
Lenzy Pipkins?  Thats his full name?
I'd never heard/read his first. Sounds like his parents named him straight out of a fairy tale :)

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 07:45:13 AM »
Well. I liked what I saw in general. The packers don't seem to ever suffer from a lack of effort. Nice signs from a lot of young players like Clark, Davis, Lenzy Pipkins, Martin Evans, etc. Some vets also flashed pretty well. Special teams in general was pretty good.

Did not like the play of the offensive line. No running game and poor protection. Also it seems like the defense will continue to struggle to stop opponents passing attacks. At some point IMO it can't just be that all the players are simply bad. There are problems with the defensive scheme when every crossing route is wide open.

First preseason game, defenses tend to be very vanilla. I do understand the concern based on how we've played on defense over the past 5-6 years. I will say, it's to early to become the prophet of doom for 2017.

We have a lot of high draft picks on defense. I think the additional speed of our defense is going to help immensely. Time will tell, but I hope Capers schemes are not become what Tom Landry's "flex defense" became at the end of his time in Dallas.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 09:17:33 AM »

He was hot and cold. Got beat a couple times, had good coverage and made some good tackles/hard hits as well.

Got beat on a misscommunication on deep ball... for rookie that did not see many reps I can live with that for now.  One miss tackle early in game...  had excellent form tackling 1:1 with receiver on 2 occasions in flat and WR did not gain any additional yards... those were some of the best tackles I have seen by CB with Packers uniform.

I agree he was hot and cold... but can see the potential.

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 09:31:43 AM »
Preseason game 1 in the books..

Good:
 - Vogel punting the ball other than his 1st attempt
 - Davis and punt returning (TD and long gainer)
 - FG´s and extra points no drama
 - Williams at RB with limited attempts... he moves the pile forward
 - Clark looks like he has taken a step
 - Price and Ringo I thought kept up good pressure on 2nd team.  Ringo good hustle on fumble recovery
 - McCaffrey and Yancey made some plays at WR... Clark TD and another catch, Crocket had very tough catch on 3rd down as well
 - Defense forcing TOs...  Martinez good hustle and hard hit, Guntar great play on sideline for fumble and recovery

Bad:
 - 1st team defense - missed tackles, missed sack, lined up offsides (was impressed with all the pressure)
 - Janis easy drop on 3rd down.. made up for it with great move on TD.  But easy drops on 3rd downs are killers
 - Davis did not show anything at WR
 - Spriggs looked like turn style on sack he gave up
 - Injuries - Randall, Barclay, Dupre, Brice (minor)... couple other 3rd/4th stringers.  Hopefully Dupre OK and bounces back quickly, like him.

Online Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 09:41:51 AM »

Got beat on a misscommunication on deep ball... for rookie that did not see many reps I can live with that for now.  One miss tackle early in game...  had excellent form tackling 1:1 with receiver on 2 occasions in flat and WR did not gain any additional yards... those were some of the best tackles I have seen by CB with Packers uniform.

I agree he was hot and cold... but can see the potential.

The mistake on the deep ball was disappointing to see because one of his strengths in college was "vertical control" as Joe Whitt would call it.  The only time he had a play like that as a senior was against a guy who was timed as a 4.3 at a Nike camp in high school, where King misjudged on the guys speed.

He does need a lot of work on the breaking routes underneath.  The Washington system prioritized stopping the deep perimeter and channeled the underneath stuff back to the linebacker and Budda Baker as a safety playing up, so I think he will have to get used to the scheme change.

I see the potential, but he looks tentative and like he hasn't gotten comfortable yet.  He looks to be struggling with the adjustment to the added strength, speed, and route running ability on NFL level guys while learning a new system, and once he settles in he will be better. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 09:44:03 AM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."