September 21, 2017, 08:53:53 AM

Author Topic: Postgame Coaches Corner :: Preseason Game #4  (Read 961 times)

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
Postgame Coaches Corner :: Preseason Game #4
« on: August 31, 2017, 09:04:32 PM »
Some dreams were made....some delayed tonight.

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
Re: Postgame Coaches Corner :: Preseason Game #4
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 09:18:17 PM »
Some bubble guys who will make it...Janis, Allison, Adam Jones, and Ringo.  Allison will be on the 53 after a 1 game suspension.  Don't know what they will do with Hill.  I would try to put him on the PS and if another team tries to snag him make room on the 53.  Think he'll be a solid backup for years to come.  Not all that impressed with Hundley he did some nice things but don't think he showed enough to warrant a decent offer from another team.  Tell you glad I am not the GM right now.  Tough decisions.  Especially at WR.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 09:30:36 PM »
I'm going to guess three draft picks get cut: Amichia, (one RB), and Dupre. I'm on the fence about Yancey as well. Not saying that becuase it was a terrible draft. Amichia was a miss at this point. The others can probably make an NFL roster, but not ours.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 09:35:34 PM »
Rob Demovsky‏Verified account @RobDemovsky  1m1 minute ago
More
 Packers WR Geronimo Allison was diagnosed with a concussion; the team announced. He's suspended Week 1.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 09:46:40 PM »
I'm thinking that it may well be only 8 OL on the 53 from this group if Barclay is healthy for week 1. To me it didn't appear anyone is grabbing a job by the throat.  OL is tough for me on the live game to say with confidents. Anyone else have thoughts on the OL?  Did anyone stand out?

Online OneTwoSixFive

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 09:50:02 PM »
I'm going to guess three draft picks get cut: Amichia, (one RB), and Dupre. I'm on the fence about Yancey as well. Not saying that becuase it was a terrible draft. Amichia was a miss at this point. The others can probably make an NFL roster, but not ours.

Do McCaffrey and Clark have more long term value than Yancy and Dupre ? No idea, but they might.

OLB Gilbert is another that is pushing at Fackrell and Elliott. Fackrell  just doesn't inspire, Elliott (who Bob Fox says the Packers love on ST) keeps having back troubles. Gilbert doesn't have great measurables, but he just keeps on showing up. I think he could be a placeholder for Biegel (who is probably off to pup, to free up a 53 spot), then when Biegel returns half way into the season they can re-evaluate whether to keep or stash Gilbert.

Amichia was always likely to be a PS guy. That's why the most athletic tackle in the draft is available at pick 212.....he has developmental guy writ large on his forehead.

RB Williams has not looked as good as Jones and Mays. Being good in pass pro will get  you a long way down the line - but not all the way to the next station.
(ricky) "Personally, I'm putting this in a box, driving a stake through its heart, firing a silver bullet into its (empty) head, nailing it shut, loading it into a rocket and firing it into the sun. "

(Pink Floyd) "Set the controls for the heart of the sun"

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 10:03:43 PM »
Anyone else have thoughts on the OL?

OL/DL's far from my strong suit, but you want a thought? The obvious one: beyond our starters we could be in trouble. I'd be surprised if we dont bring some more guys in to assist/fill in there. I think our OL 1st stringers can hold their own but the 2nd stringers simply havent come together or gotten it done.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 10:04:18 PM by Leader »

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 10:12:31 PM »
Anyone else have thoughts on the OL?

OL/DL's far from my strong suit, but you want a thought? The obvious one: beyond our starters we could be in trouble. I'd be surprised if we dont bring some more guys in to assist/fill in there. I think our OL 1st stringers can hold their own but the 2nd stringers simply havent come together or gotten it done.

I was just thinking a 9th OLineman is a luxury spot, would be for a young guy they thought had a lot of upside. A redshirt type. Don't know if they have one of those.

Offline SDProfessor

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 10:28:56 PM »
I thought the OL played a bit better...but really not saying much considering the poor play they've gotten.

I thought Amichia had some really nice blocks tonight. First time to me I really noticed him for anything good. Spriggs wasn't as horrible as usual. Murphy made a couple nice run blocks.

I'm guessing that they'll either roster or PS both of Gray and Amichia just because of their athleticism. Spriggs and Murphy will likely make it. Barclay, if he's healthy, makes it at this point. Room for anyone else? Maybe one more. I hope that last spot isn't going to McCray.

WR is a mystery. Maybe I just missed him but I didn't see much of Clark tonight. Sign that they're trying to hide him/sneak him onto PS?

Dupre, Yancey, etc...nobody really standing out. McCaffery had a decent punt return I guess. I don't know. But I agree that Allison is def. making this team when he's off suspension (in case that was in question). Ballsy play at the goal line. Made a couple nice plays actually.

At the beg. of preseason I was a Taysom Hill doubter. But at this point he's beat out Callahan IMO. This, to me, means that Hill goes to the PS.

The RB situation is not inspiring. I could not tell you out of Mays, Williams, or Jones who I prefer. I guess Williams just because I've seen more of what he can do in college. He had a couple decent runs tonight.

Hey, this defense may be pretty good. Really deep DB group. Good to see Jones on the field so much, although I think his play revealed that he's still a little green.

Should we assume that Gunther is making this team? I'm not so sure.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 10:38:03 PM »
Michael Cohen‏Verified account @Michael_Cohen13  32m32 minutes ago
More
Michael Cohen Retweeted GoPackGo Mx
Spoke to Brice very briefly in the locker room, said he was fine. Also seemed frustrated to be playing so late in the 4th quarter. #Packers

Online cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 03:01:27 AM »
I'll say it again.  I think Marwin Evans is our #2 safety.  I'd love to see him and HHCD on the field together.

Bubble guys - Gilbert, Price, make the team.  Ringo and Patrick don't unless Barclay is in danger of not playing the first week and Adams is IRed. 

No freaking clue what Ted does at WR.
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 06:39:41 AM »
I'll say it again.  I think Marwin Evans is our #2 safety.  I'd love to see him and HHCD on the field together.

Bubble guys - Gilbert, Price, make the team.  Ringo and Patrick don't unless Barclay is in danger of not playing the first week and Adams is IRed. 

cheech,

Where do you have Fackrell? If Gilbert is a bubble guy and makes it that would be 5 other than Fackrell by my count. That also does not account for Biegel who seems destined for PUP.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline favre_4_ever

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 07:12:05 AM »

Id be shocked/down right upset if Ringo doesnt make this team. He got after the quarterback four weeks in a row. He was in the backfield all night. He's not Mike Daniels inside but he's got a shot to be a great spell guy for him. A fresh Ringo can make plays in the 3rd and 4th quarters of NFL games with his pass rush. Price & RJF can't.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 07:19:50 AM »

Id be shocked/down right upset if Ringo doesnt make this team. He got after the quarterback four weeks in a row. He was in the backfield all night. He's not Mike Daniels inside but he's got a shot to be a great spell guy for him. A fresh Ringo can make plays in the 3rd and 4th quarters of NFL games with his pass rush. Price & RJF can't.

In making the case of Price over Ringo, if the Packers are looking for that Guion-type replacement, that would be Price. I would not be surprised if both Price and Ringo made it and RJF is gone.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 08:02:08 AM »

In making the case of Price over Ringo, if the Packers are looking for that Guion-type replacement, that would be Price. I would not be surprised if both Price and Ringo made it and RJF is gone.

Three weeks ago, I would have said that RJF was a lock (vet experience) to make this team.

But, I tend to agree that Price & Ringo have elevated their games to the point that they may be the better "long term" options on DL than a 1 yr deal for a soon-to-be 31 yr old veteran.

Youth is being served on the Packer DL (Clark, Lowry, Price, Ringo, Adams) and Daniels is 28. This group could become the strength of the defense.