October 20, 2017, 04:41:09 PM

Author Topic: Overall Roster Impressions  (Read 5422 times)

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
Re: Overall Roster Impressions
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2017, 04:07:40 PM »

If you google Q. Dial it shows 3 tweets that he just signed!

https://www.google.com/search?q=quinton+dial&oq=q&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i60j69i61j69i60j69i65l2.2830j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Seeing a lot of hits that he has signed... assume will see something official upcoming.

49ers changing their scheme is proving beneficial to the Packers it appears.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2017, 04:42:34 PM »
Jahri Evans is 34 years old.

Lang is 29.

Lang is a proficient all around guard.  That means he can pull, get out on screens and pass block.  Evans was mainly known for his drive blocking.

In the last two years, he has been dropped three times, twice by the Saints and once by Seattle.

Maybe that does not mean anything, maybe the GMs and coaches on both  teams are stupid and bad judges of ability.  I sure hope so. 

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2017, 05:41:52 PM »
Dial is a really big guy, he is listed at 6' 5" and 318 lbs.

That is big enough to play inside.  Which is good since we really did not have a replacement for Guion. 

I think TT understood that we  needed some help in the front seven and, to his credit, he went out and got it. 

I wonder why the Niners got rid of Dial?  I know they are going to a 4-3, was that it?

The net sum of these three acquisitions is that it give us quality depth in the front seven, and rotational starters.  I also think they will help us against the run game.

And the big question of course is: Will MM  move CM 3 inside and let Brooks start outside.  Depending on Brooks' performance, I would at least try it.  Since I think it makes us a better team.  And if Brooks is fine, it will help our pass rush.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 05:43:48 PM by Gregg »

Online cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2017, 05:54:43 PM »
Jahri Evans is 34 years old.

Lang is 29.

Lang is a proficient all around guard.  That means he can pull, get out on screens and pass block.  Evans was mainly known for his drive blocking.

In the last two years, he has been dropped three times, twice by the Saints and once by Seattle.

Maybe that does not mean anything, maybe the GMs and coaches on both  teams are stupid and bad judges of ability.  I sure hope so.

This. 

I'm really happy we could get Evans, but that doesn't mean I think he's anything close to Lang.
I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Online cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2017, 05:57:04 PM »
Dial is a really big guy, he is listed at 6' 5" and 318 lbs.

That is big enough to play inside.  Which is good since we really did not have a replacement for Guion. 

I think TT understood that we  needed some help in the front seven and, to his credit, he went out and got it. 

I wonder why the Niners got rid of Dial?  I know they are going to a 4-3, was that it?

The net sum of these three acquisitions is that it give us quality depth in the front seven, and rotational starters.  I also think they will help us against the run game.

And the big question of course is: Will MM  move CM 3 inside and let Brooks start outside.  Depending on Brooks' performance, I would at least try it.  Since I think it makes us a better team.  And if Brooks is fine, it will help our pass rush.

I went from being very concerned about our run D, to thinking we we could have a top 5 run defense with the last 3 moves at OLB and DT.  Also encouraging that Adams wasn't put on IR.  Great for our secondary as we'll see more third and long.

Offline Shanedorf

• All Pro
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2017, 06:15:23 PM »
cheech and others, what do you make of this tweet from Eye in the Sky ?

"The 3-2-6 dime is by far and away the most effective package the #Packers defense has. It also allows Clay to make plays."

Is he saying that Perry and Matthews are the (2) LBs in this alignment with 3 DL ?

Online golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2017, 06:29:14 PM »

"The 3-2-6 dime is by far and away the most effective package the #Packers defense has. It also allows Clay to make plays."

Is he saying that Perry and Matthews are the (2) LBs in this alignment with 3 DL ?

I personnally hope we get to see a lot of this defense. It will mean we have the offense in a negative down and distance and we should win.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Online cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2017, 06:47:06 PM »

I think this was the NASCAR package..

Or a NT, with Datone and Peppers covering up the tackles and Matthews disguising which gap he would shoot? 

He said it was for linear athletes, so that's my best guess.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2017, 09:37:42 PM »
I still think they are going to end up keeping at least 6 DL because they will be spending noticably more time in the base 3-4 than in past years.

Even before Dial's name came up, this years DL was already a better group than what they have had for the last 5-6 years (IMO).

If staying more in base 3-4 ends up being the case, then replacing Dial for Ringo could be common sense from a stopping the run perspective. But I also think that there will be increased inside pass rush pressure this year because of the improvement of Clark and Lowry.........and their improvement will also give Daniels more 1-1 oppotunities as well. Adams, when he finally gets near 100%, could add to that inside pressure.

Hearing that Adams is practicing is very good news for this group................although, you would think they are going to be very cautious with him for a while. He's likely a game day scratch for the first 2-3 weeks.

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/09/05/instant-analysis-of-packers-signing-quinton-dial/

Suddenly, Green Bay’s defensive line looks like a real strength of the defense. With Dial, Adams, Mike Daniels, Kenny Clark, Dean Lowry and Ricky Jean-Francois, the Packers have both talent and versatility up front – giving defensive coordinator Dom Capers many different combinations if he wants to mix and match players to certain situations.

Capers can thank Thompson, who can thank the 49ers. San Francisco’s schematic changes have allowed the Packers to add two important pieces to the front seven before the start of the 2017 season.

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2017, 12:57:34 AM »
big ror:

When you say you do not see any position that is a step down from last year, what about losing Lang at RG and putting in a guy who has been let go by two teams in the last year as the replacement?  Lang was in the top tier of all around guards in the NFC.  And probably the best all around guard in the division next to Long.

In saying that, I was thinking of the offensive line as a unit, not RG in particular.  I agree that, at this point in their respective careers, Lang is a better player than Evans is.  However, I also recognize that Lang has never been as good as Evans was in his prime.  Or put another way, despite being on the downside of his career, Evans isn't just some guy, which is how you intended to frame him by conveniently omitting his career accomplishments and then referring to him as "a guy who has been let go by two teams in the last two years."  By that logic, Josh Sitton is just some bum who probably doesn't have much left to offer.  Same goes for Brooks and Dial, both of whom the Packers just signed.  I realize that Evans's recent cuts don't frame him in the most flattering of lights, but part of that was financial; moreover, the Saints brought him back for a reason, and Peyton admitted that it was a mistake to cut him the first time around.

In addition, and as Shanedorf eloquently notes, Lang's injury history is alarming.  If I had my druthers, I'd take Lang, but I don't perceive the dropoff from Lang to be so appreciable that I'm concerned about the offensive line.  And as B noted in his defense of my post, my proclamation that the offensive line will be better than last year's is rooted in the idea that Bakhtiari, Taylor, and Linsley continue to improve.  I think their growth, which seems quite probable, will more than compensate for the expected decline in play at RG.

What about at RB?  We had Montgomery last year with Lacy.  Whatever one thought of Lacy, he was a proven commodity who had two thousand yard seasons.  This year we have three rookies behind Monty.  How can you possibly say  that any of them will be an improvement over Lacy based on the exhibition season.  When, in fact, none of them distinguished themselves in any significant way in those four games.

Well, this depends on how you're juxtapositing this year and last year's respective teams.  As B noted, Lacy missed most of last season, so I wasn't really factoring him into my comparison.  But even if that's what you want to do--compare Lacy to Montgomery--I'd pick the latter.  I was a major fan of Lacy, and I wish he was still on this team, but Montgomery fits this offense better and can contribute in more ways than Lacy can given the former's ability as a receiver.  At times, the Packers would motion Lacy out, and people would chuckle.  They don't chuckle when Montgomery motions out, and opposing defenses take special note because they know not doing so is perilous.  I expect Montgomery to be a major focus of this offense.  It seemed as if McCarthy would work Lacy into the offense in spite of what he wanted to do.  Working Montgomery into the offense is an easier task for McCarthy given Ty's versatility as a runner and catcher.  I'm concerned about Montgomery's ability to stay healthy, secure the ball, and pass protect, and if he struggles in any of those areas, his playing time will be limited.  But right now, I'm really excited about and eager to see Montgomery featured in this offense.

On defense, we don't know if we will be better or the same at LB.  Why?  Because the condition of CM 3 is not really fathomable.  He may have started to break down.  I mean I hope not, but I am just being realistic.  He has had a lot of durability problems of late.  He may have hit the wall.  We will see.  TT realized he needed help here and went out and got Brooks and Odom.  Again, we will see how they play out.  But if CM 3 HAS hit the wall, this position may be a problem.  Because no one fears our ILB team.

Matthews's injury history is worrisome, to be sure.  And so is Perry's.  But if both are healthy, which neither really was last year, then this is a position of strength on the defense.  They're one of the better tandems in the league.  And what's really encouraging is that Perry appears to have made the leap.  Even when wearing the cast last year, he was effective.  I agree that signing Brooks was a good move.  I think claiming Odom and trading Elliot was another:  it netted an extra draft pick and jettisoned a player with recurring back issues who never lived up to his potential for a younger player with more upside.  I don't like Fackrell, though.  He seems decent enough on special teams, and he tends to play better than he practices.  But I think he's a wasted pick, and I thought that on draft day.  I'm just not a fan of investing in 24/25 year old rookies.

As for RB, Lacy lasted less than 5 games last season - so he was not a part of the Packers season run that got them to the NFC Championship game. ......

Tangent. 

I think most teams can compare pre-season pre-injury position groups to last year's actual in-season injury-impacted position groups and think the pre-injured groups will tend to look better.  Uninjured groups naturally should look better than injury-depleted groups! 

So when we compare now to in-season, we look much better.  But I think that's natural for most teams. 

If we go injury-free, I love our chances. 

But I think QB, OL, and OLB do represent three position groups where even one serious injury could really kill, much less several.  Again, I think that too is natural for most teams.

Good point of clarification, craig.  You're right to suggest that the team on paper to start the season tends to look better than the one that plays, say, mid-season.  Before the year begins, we have high hopes and aspirations as well as a fairly healthy roster.

But whether you look at last year's team in terms of the potential they have on paper to start the year or the way they actually were playing by year's end, I still like this year's team better--and mostly, as I note in my previous post, because this team has the experience and speed that they've lacked in recent years.  What's more, I don't see a position other than RG that will be worse than last year.  Like others, I worry about the depth at OLB and OL, but every team has their depth woes.  The Patriots demonstrated as much last night.  But you're right:  this team could look quite different come mid-season and, as such, be playing quite differently.

All in all, however, this team should have no other expectation than to win the Bowl.  It's a recipe for disappointment, but I think that has to be the measure of success with this team.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 01:06:05 AM by big ror »
"BBD.  Boring by Design."

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2017, 08:51:12 PM »
Thanks for the reply BR.

Even when I disagree with you, I enjoy the informed give and take.

Offline big ror

• HOF Member
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2017, 08:51:17 PM »
I end up replying to you often for a reason. :)
"BBD.  Boring by Design."

Online cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2017, 04:57:48 PM »
Bump.

I still believe there is enough talent for this team to win.  Looking back at my roster impressions - what I clearly missed is a defensive coordinator that hasn't changed and an offensive game plan that hasn't changed. 

Simply, we just have less talent on the OL than 2-3 years ago and our receivers have lost a step from 2-3 years ago.  I also thought Bennett would be an improvement over Cook.  He hasn't been. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 05:01:52 PM by cheech »

Online SSG

• HOF Member
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2017, 06:07:05 PM »
Bump.

I still believe there is enough talent for this team to win.  Looking back at my roster impressions - what I clearly missed is a defensive coordinator that hasn't changed and an offensive game plan that hasn't changed. 

Simply, we just have less talent on the OL than 2-3 years ago and our receivers have lost a step from 2-3 years ago. I also thought Bennett would be an improvement over Cook.  He hasn't been.

People made such a huge deal about the Bennett signing this offseason and I was ripped for suggesting that he was a down grade as a receiver.  Its pretty clear that he not only is a down grade but he's a SIGNIFICANT downgrade as a receiver.  Not sure if this is new but his hands look absolutely terrible.
Act your age, not your shoe size.

Offline Hands

• HOF Member
    • Uncover
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2017, 07:21:15 PM »
SSG, you are absolutely correct about Bennett. I only hope his blocking is great!
In the land of the blind.....the one eye man is king!