September 21, 2017, 08:53:34 AM

Author Topic: Pre-Game Discussion - Game 1 :: Seahawks @ Packers  (Read 3609 times)

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
Pre-Game Discussion - Game 1 :: Seahawks @ Packers
« on: September 03, 2017, 06:19:21 PM »
When: 9/10/17 @ 4:25EST
Where: Lambeau Field
Weather Forecast: Sunny skies. High 72F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph. 10% precip.

And so it begins.......

Projected NFC powerhouse comes to Lambeau to open the 2017 season. Playoff seedings commence @ kickoff.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 10:43:20 AM by LMG »

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
Re: Game 1 :: Seahawks @ Packers
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 06:29:50 PM »
Pure and simple.This game comes down to the Packers OL.  Are they ready for Seattle's front 7 so early?  Glad its at Lambeau. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 06:31:13 PM by The GM »

Offline Twain

• HOF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 06:38:37 PM »
Tough game to open with, and part of a very tough schedule to open the season.

Seahawks fans are very confident in their defense, with 8 of 11 starters having gone to the pro bowl, and some talent in the other 3 as well.  They feel this may be one of the great defenses of all time.

Additionally, the reconstructed OL has held up well in preseason, and Russell Wilson has looked good.  They have 4 legitimate running backs, and the rookie 7th round pick, Chris Carson, may be the best of the bunch.

We have a new look on offense, much of which will be un-scouted due to lack of playing time for the key starters this pre-season.  Capers has played it pretty bland since the opening sequences of the first game in the pre-season, so even our defense could be largely un-scouted.

Hopefully the Seahawks come out over confident, and the Packers hungry and focused.  This year I want to see a defense that can maintain intensity for an entire game.  Hopefully we can stuff the run, keep Wilson in the pocket, and get enough improvement from our secondary to keep the scoring down for Seattle.   In that case, like GM said, if our OL holds up, we can win this game.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 06:45:24 PM by Twain »
"The trouble ain't that there are too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 06:40:55 PM »
I really think we're going to punch them straight in the mouth and bury them. I think we'll be able to run on them some and the quick passing game will give them fits. Our defense should be much improved and faster. Their weakness is thier offensive line, particularly, LT. I'd love to see Matthews lay the wood to Wilson a few times real, real good.

Welcome back Lacy! I think he lays one on the ground and we pick Wilson 2 - 3 times.

Green Bay 38
Seattle 17
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Toddfather

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 08:06:33 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvhOSrM-ajo

I would love to see some of this again.  thumbsup)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 08:07:37 PM by Toddfather »

Offline Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 06:31:40 AM »

Green Bay 38
Seattle 17

We will need to force a lot of turnovers again for this to happen...  have done it twice to Wilson already. May depend on how much better their OL really is... I am optimistic our DL is going to create a lot of fits for Seattle OL.

Is Thomas 100%? Richardson will still be learning their system.

Think this will be a close game.

Packers really need to win at home this season, road games this year have some difficult matchups on paper (looking at them now - Falcons, Cowbowys, Steelers, Panthers, Vikings).

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 09:09:05 AM »
Shades of Ezra Johnson.  The Seahawks Eddie Lacy caught eating a hot dog during their game vs Oakland?  He says it was a pack of sunflower seeds.   Too funny.

http://www.12up.com/posts/5489629-eddie-lacy-appears-to-have-been-caught-eating-hot-dog-on-sidelines-during-preseason-game

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 09:10:52 AM by The GM »

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 09:51:06 AM »
Shades of Ezra Johnson.  The Seahawks Eddie Lacy caught eating a hot dog during their game vs Oakland?  He says it was a pack of sunflower seeds.   Too funny.

I only saw a bit of one SEA PS game. Was switching thru channels - passed it - then realized Lacy might be playing, so checked back in. Too late. He was on the sidelines already - but I did get an impression from whatever/whomever was running the ball for them, that they were faster than years past. Are those guys still on their roster? Dont know/cant say. Guess I'll learn come Sunday - but they were moving pretty quick.......

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
Re: Pre-Game Discussion - Game 1 :: Seahawks @ Packers
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 10:51:16 AM »
Lacy looks like Lacy, heavy  and slow, he didnt do much in the preseason.  Rawls is decent but needs to stay healthy.  They have a rookie named Chris Carson from OK St who looks really good.  Very impressive in the preseason.  He might be the best of the lot.  Keep an eye on him.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 10:52:43 AM by The GM »

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 12:19:35 PM »
Both Ahmad Brooks and Chris Odom will practice today. "Full-time preparation," coach Mike McCarthy said of integrating them into the Packers. "That's what's gone on since both guys have arrived." / Rob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer

Ryan Wood‏Verified account @ByRyanWood 2m2 minutes ago
Packers coach Mike McCarthy on Chris Odom: "I think he's a very good fit for what we do and how we play on defense."

Tom Silverstein‏Verified account @TomSilverstein 2m2 minutes ago
McCarthy on OLBs: Personnel acquisition is an everyday thing. Realistic we have to get the news guys ready to play.

"Ty Montgomery is our starting running back," Mike McCarthy said. "His development is over. It's time to go win games. ... He's a big part of what we do and how we play." / Rob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer

Offline ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 12:52:51 PM »
Thanks for the update, Leader. But so far there is no new news on Bulaga. Hopefully he can play at full strength, because if he is playing hurt, there is effectively no credible backup with Barclay on IR. My gosh, I NEVER thought I'd miss Barclay not being available! This speaks volumes about how poorly the OL situation has been handled by the Packers.   
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 03:47:42 PM »
I really think we're going to punch them straight in the mouth and bury them. I think we'll be able to run on them some and the quick passing game will give them fits. Our defense should be much improved and faster. Their weakness is thier offensive line, particularly, LT. I'd love to see Matthews lay the wood to Wilson a few times real, real good.

Welcome back Lacy! I think he lays one on the ground and we pick Wilson 2 - 3 times.

Green Bay 38
Seattle 17

My whole outlook on this game has changed is Bulaga cant' go. I have no faith in either Spriggs or Murphy against those DE's on Seattle.
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline The GM

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 04:48:23 PM »

Green Bay 38
Seattle 17

My whole outlook on this game has changed is Bulaga cant' go. I have no faith in either Spriggs or Murphy against those DE's on Seattle.

This is a huge game too.  Seattle will be in the mix at the end of the year, and next we go to Atlanta.  I hate playing these big game right out of the gate, but it is what it is.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 05:20:22 PM »
This series of late has some bad blood brewing.

“They don’t like us. We don’t like them.”  Cliff Avril

After last years embarrassing lose to GB, the Seahawk defense is headed to Lambeau to throw the first punch this year.

This is from the post game story in the Seattle paper from last years game.

Seattle’s defensive end, who leads the team with 10 sacks, got into shoving and pushing matches with Green Bay offensive linemen after multiple plays on Sunday. One came after right guard T.J. Lang accused Avril of punching him in the private area.

Lang and Avril had to be separated following a play in the third quarter. On the Packers’ next drive, Avril was falling down trying to get to quarterback Aaron Rodgers — something Seattle’s four-man rush did not do often as Rodgers shredded them on 18-for-23 passing for 246 yards, three touchdowns and a near-perfect passer rating (150.8). As Avril was on the ground, Packers right tackle Bryan Bulaga apparently got revenge. Bulaga kneed the prone Avril in the stomach.

Avril doubled over back onto the ground, and trainers came onto the field. He left for one play, benefited from a long replay review of an incomplete pass on the sideline, and re-entered the game.

After Green Bay’s 38-10 win Lang tweeted: “Sorry man, I’ll try to keep my composure next time I get punched in the (groin).”

In the locker room, Lang said: “All their guys are intense players. … They like to kind of push you a little late, so we were definitely aware of that.

“We didn’t back down from anybody (Sunday). Got into it with him a little bit, a couple times. Just football. Two intense teams going at it. I don’t know if you guys saw the replay of what happened.

“The ref was standing right there and just said he didn’t see it.”

Avril initially called it friendly competition, then said of Lang: “He don’t like me. I don’t like him. It is what it is.

This team has alot of proud men on it and they are going to Green Bay on sunday to get a bad taste out of their mouths, a taste that has been there since December 11th of last year.

Offline iarwain

• HOF Member
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 05:24:16 PM »
Pure and simple.This game comes down to the Packers OL.  Are they ready for Seattle's front 7 so early?  Glad its at Lambeau.
There's also the question if we can stop Russell Wilson, who is statistically a very good quarterback.
I'm kind of glad we're playing them in the first game, while we're as healthy as we're likely to be.
Home field doesn't hurt either.