September 21, 2017, 08:55:31 AM

Author Topic: Game 2 :: Green Bay (1+0) @ Atlanta (1+0)  (Read 2436 times)

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
Game 2 :: Green Bay (1+0) @ Atlanta (1+0)
« on: September 12, 2017, 08:50:24 AM »
Week two and another early season test against an NFC Powerhouse - last years SB representative.
2017 playoff seedings are being planted now.
Time to take advantage.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:57:30 AM by Leader »

Offline SDProfessor

• Starter
Game 2 :: Green Bay (1+0) @ Atlanta (1+0)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 09:03:14 AM »
Bigger test than last week.

*On the road
*Vs. a potent offense
*On turf (ATL will play fast)
*ATL opening new stadium

I picked this as a preseason loss, but I'm optimistic GB will hang around. I just have a feeling the defense won't be as stellar and the offense will still be a little too out of sync to keep up.

But we'll see. Go pack go.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:57:10 AM by Leader »

Offline Divot

• All Pro
Re: Game 2 :: Green Bay (1+0) @ Atlanta (1+0)
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 12:43:29 PM »
I can hear it already.....GBs defense was a one hit wonder and more of Seattle's lack of o-line.  I say this because I think ATL will drop some yardage on us but I hope not a lot of points. 

ATL home game in new stadium might be overrated.  They didn't play that good in Chicago and the mindset probably is "we will play better at home".  Thinking a home game will cure everything.  I think they start out this game super slow.  fingers crossed.

2-0 start would be YUGE for us.

Offline dannobanano

• HOF Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 01:00:42 PM »
It will be true that ATL will play faster on turf than they did in CHI.

But it will also be true that GB will play faster as well.

It will be a good test to see how GB's new team speed matches up with ATL.

I already believe GB is a more physical team than ATL. Maybe that can help negate some of the speed factor?

Will just have to wait and see!

twocents)

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 05:56:02 PM »
Packers vs. Falcons
All-time, Regular season: 15-13-0
All-time, Postseason: 2-2
All-time, in Atlanta: 6-10-0

Green Bay averaged 34.4 points while winning the first five games of the series, with the first coming in 1966 en route to becoming the first Super Bowl champions.
In 1992, Atlanta won the first game of the series after trading QB Brett Favre to Green Bay in February.
Favre and the Packers had revenge with a 37-20 win in the 1995 NFC Wild Card, where the defense held the Falcons to just 21 rushing yards.
Atlanta won both contests in 2016 after losing four consecutive games to Green Bay from 2011-14.

Offline golfman

• HOF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 07:13:42 PM »
Our team speed is a lot better this year. Forget the NFC Championship game. We committed a couple of uncharacteristic turnovers and we got on the wrong side of MO! Our defense is leaps and bounds better, but our offense has to be better than it was against Seattle, which is will be. Atlanta's defense is no where near as good as Seattle.

We have to weather the first quarter because they are coming out with alot of energy opening up their new stadium. After the first quarter if we're even, we're leaving and win going away. That is going to be a BIG, BIG IF!
"Make the Packers Great Again! "

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 07:39:30 PM »
Our team speed is a lot better this year. Forget the NFC Championship game. We committed a couple of uncharacteristic turnovers and we got on the wrong side of MO! Our defense is leaps and bounds better, but our offense has to be better than it was against Seattle, which is will be. Atlanta's defense is no where near as good as Seattle.

We have to weather the first quarter because they are coming out with alot of energy opening up their new stadium. After the first quarter if we're even, we're leaving and win going away. That is going to be a BIG, BIG IF!

I agree for reasons mentioned - and - I also think the mental/emotional toll of the winning streak, combined with our emotion packed win against Dallas - left us spent. Whereas ATL was rested - closing out their home stadium - loaded for bear on offense - so much like many SB games, when things start going south - it's doubly hard to stop the slide. 

Also - and this is extremely tangential - but was it this game that the flight out of GB was shut down (?) and the team needed to bus somewhere else to catch the flight out? 

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 07:40:27 PM by Leader »

Offline scoremore

• HOF Member
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 07:42:32 PM »
Different Packer team.  We are healthy.  This game is a toss up.  Think the Pack has a good chance of taking them out.  For some reason teams opening new stadiums always lose.  Pressure is on Atlanta not the Pack.  Defense will show up believe it.

Offline Pack88

• Rookie
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 11:26:21 PM »
I agree with most of the posts and have a similar outlook on the game!  Atlanta still has a of of talent on both side of the ball and playing at home.  This is obviously good for Ryan and company but each week somebody owns this advantage and fail to utilize it!  Like most of you  I think the O's gotta win it for us!  Howeve,r I also see that the more the defense wins the 2 second rule ( receiving routes succeed or fail in this time frame) the better our chances of winning.  Mat Ryan is not going to nimbly elude 5 rushers and throw a strike to Julio.  If the GB DB's win their battles I see GB maintain enough balance to win the game, whether Rodgers can do that we'll see but I do  believe the defense gives him a chance! 

My sneaky weapon this week might be Lance Kendricks,  Bennett will get a lot of attention and Kendricks runs a good seam route and a beautiful slant (9-15 yds) if he doesn't have the dropies he might be huge

Pack88

Offline JQ

• HOF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 11:50:25 PM »
I stumbled across this link:

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/straight-from-the-beek/article-1/Panic-questions-and-concern-about-the-Falcons-offense-play-calling-and-Packers/cf0b90a3-79a9-4957-b628-86631942fb48

It’s similar to the old “Ask Vic” column, and what’s now called “Insider’s Inbox” on the Packer website. I noticed Falcon fans are wringing their hands much the same way as many of the Packer Faithful. But mostly I thought it was an interesting read!

Personally, I think the fans' the angst is warranted. The Packers are indeed healthier, and will field a much better squad on Sunday night than the one that got trounced last January. I believe they’ll spoil the Opening Night gala for Atlanta’s fancy new stadium!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 12:35:13 AM by JQ »

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 12:33:42 AM »
Are we healthy?  What about BB and Brooks?

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 07:44:48 AM »
Some interesting factoids.....

How Week 1 Rosters Were Assembled

Green Bay Packers
Homegrown: 42
Free Agency: 10
Trade: 1
Waivers: 0
Practice Squad: 0
1st Round draft picks: 7
QB Aaron Rodgers, T Bryan Bulaga, DT Kenny Clark, LB Clay Matthews, LB Nick Perry, CB Damarious Randall, S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
Undrafted Free Agents: 12

Atlanta Falcons
Homegrown: 31
Free Agency: 19
Trade: 1
Waivers: 2
Practice Squad: 0
1st Round draft picks: 10
QB Matt Ryan, WR Julio Jones, C Alex Mack, T Jake Matthews, DE Adrian Clayborn, DE Takkarist McKinley, DT Dontari Poe, DE/OLB Vic Beasley, CB Desmond Trufant, S Keanu Neal
Undrafted Free Agents: 15

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 08:01:47 AM »
Wherever you got your factoid leader it is incorrect. The Packers have no current players from a trade and they do have one from a waiver claim ( Chris Odom). I've always felt that factoids should contains accurate facts. Maybe it's just me that feels that way.

Offline Leader

• Global Moderator
  • HOF Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 08:11:07 AM »
Wherever you got your factoid leader it is incorrect. The Packers have no current players from a trade and they do have one from a waiver claim ( Chris Odom). I've always felt that factoids should contains accurate facts. Maybe it's just me that feels that way.

Take it up with these folks: https://www.profootballrumors.com/  (scroll down).

Offline whiterook87

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 08:35:19 AM »
Are we healthy?  What about BB and Brooks?

Brooks is still under concussion protocol, would think we would hear about Bulaga's status with McCarthy's next presser.
You are either part of the solution or part of the problem.