September 25, 2017, 03:37:54 PM

Author Topic: Packers promote OL Adam Pankey to 53-man roster  (Read 1192 times)

Online Lodestar

• HOF Member
Re: Packers promote OL Adam Pankey to 53-man roster
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 02:25:16 PM »
MM said Spriggs is out for a few weeks, so that explains the Pankey promotion. We're thin at tackle, folks.

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 02:36:20 PM »
Have no problem with the Greene addition at all. My only question is if he's so good, how could an NFL team not stash him on their 53? Eagles have a decent OL? Ok. Why not then stash him on their PS?

Yeah, that's a good question.  I've got no idea, of course.  Maybe Eagles have a healthy and deep group at O-line, and it just wasn't priority to protect/develop a guard.   

Q2:  Did we sign him from Eagles Practice Squad, or off the street? 
*If they didn't even see him as PS-worthy, and nobody else had either until now, even that wouldn't mean he might not still work our very well for us.  But, it might mute the enthusiasm a little? 
*If Eagles did have him on their 63, but he decided to ditch Philly's PS and sign with ours instead, that would be very intriguing.  First, is that even possible?  Second, is it true?  If so, I think that would be really interesting and encouraging.  And, would make sense from Greene's side, I think.  Packers are team without a strong guard backup.  And a team with an old starting guard on a terminal contract.  The opportunity to compete for a starting job next year, and to being one injury away from roster action and maybe game action this year, that would seem very career-advantageous for him. 

Q3:  Sounds like a big hulk.  Probably too big for center, right? 

Online Bignutz

• HOF Member
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 03:45:31 PM »
MM said Spriggs is out for a few weeks, so that explains the Pankey promotion. We're thin at tackle, folks.

I'm also always worried about Bulaga. Has that guy ever gone a full season without missing a game due to injury?

Offline Shanedorf

• All Pro
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 04:19:10 PM »
That's why Bryan dropped some weight last year and continued this year in an attempt to put less stress on his joints
Its also part of the reason why GB moved up to grab Spriggs

Online cheech

• HOF Member
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 05:04:04 PM »
69 was also limited today with a hammy.  He got rag-dolled in the 3rd or 4th quarter and ended up doing the splits.  Slow to get up and all that jazz. 

Pankey... is an interesting prospect.  He certainly looks the part.  Seems to have pretty long arms and a thick build. 

I'm right and everyone else does not have an opinion worth talking about.

Online ricky

• HOF Member
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 05:40:39 PM »
I'm also always worried about Bulaga. Has that guy ever gone a full season without missing a game due to injury?

Ask and you shall receive. http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/bryan-bulaga-player-injuries
"My hopes are not always realized, but I always hope." Ovid

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 05:57:00 PM »
Pankey looked like a worthwhile prospect, so maybe he'll be a strong contributor over time. 

Not sure this is an encouraging signal regarding Bulaga's comeback.  When he was announced as practicing last Wednesday or so, I was really surprised, pleasantly so.  That they are activating another guy a week later would imply that he's not going to be ready this week either. 

I don't think a team usually keeps four tackles on the game-day, right?  Maybe they just realize they really like Pankey, that would be cool.  But if Bulaga was healthy enough to be the 3rd OT on the active gameday, I'm not sure they'd need to have a 4th in Pankey. 

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 07:20:22 PM »
Have no problem with the Greene addition at all. My only question is if he's so good, how could an NFL team not stash him on their 53? Eagles have a decent OL? Ok. Why not then stash him on their PS?

Yeah, that's a good question.  I've got no idea, of course.  Maybe Eagles have a healthy and deep group at O-line, and it just wasn't priority to protect/develop a guard.   

Q2:  Did we sign him from Eagles Practice Squad, or off the street? 
*If they didn't even see him as PS-worthy, and nobody else had either until now, even that wouldn't mean he might not still work our very well for us.  But, it might mute the enthusiasm a little? 
*If Eagles did have him on their 63, but he decided to ditch Philly's PS and sign with ours instead, that would be very intriguing.  First, is that even possible?  Second, is it true?  If so, I think that would be really interesting and encouraging.  And, would make sense from Greene's side, I think.  Packers are team without a strong guard backup.  And a team with an old starting guard on a terminal contract.  The opportunity to compete for a starting job next year, and to being one injury away from roster action and maybe game action this year, that would seem very career-advantageous for him. 

Q3:  Sounds like a big hulk.  Probably too big for center, right?

I don't believe that Greene could be so picky to turndown any PS chance that would come along. He was only on the Eagles PS part of last year, they released him in October from the PS. A lot of teams have kicked them tires and didn't sign him. He has worked out for a number of team since being released, I think he is glad to get a job anywhere period. It's understandable that he is the new toy in the toybox and that get peoples blood pumping, but he is not taking anyones job anytime soon.

Offline Gregg

• HOF Member
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2017, 07:26:55 PM »
How good is Pankey?  Anyone know?  He might be playing this week.

Offline RT

• HOF Member
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 07:32:59 PM »
How good is Pankey?  Anyone know?  He might be playing this week.

The one piece of positive info that pops to mind is that he was 21-4 in one-on-ones in TC.

Online mikebpackfan

• All Pro
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2017, 09:17:00 PM »
Is he a good run blocker.  If yes, we'll be seeing some Pankey Pancakes. 

Online craig

• HOF Member
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2017, 10:32:31 PM »
...Q2:  Did we sign him from Eagles Practice Squad, or off the street? 
*If they didn't even see him as PS-worthy, and nobody else had either until now, even that wouldn't mean he might not still work our very well for us.  But, it might mute the enthusiasm a little?  ...

...He was only on the Eagles PS part of last year, they released him in October from the PS. A lot of teams have kicked them tires and didn't sign him. He has worked out for a number of team since being released, ....[/quote]

Thanks, that clarifies.  If he got released from PS mid-season, and hasn't been on any team's PS since, that provides some context.

Online Hincha

• HOF Member
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2017, 06:19:43 AM »

2010 and 2016. In 2014 he missed only 1 game - Those 3 seasons Packers also went to NFC championship game.